Our trip to Madison, Indiana

Matt_Digz

The girlfriend and I had a blast down in Madison and we will definitely be going back! Here's my collection that I found.  The one shell has a hole in it but I'm a good way!  It has little crystals on the inside!

IMG_6410.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Cool finds!

You said too much about the hole in the brachiopod, so you have to show us a picture of those crystals!

What's the age of the fossils you found?

Congrats on the good haul,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I honestly couldn't tell you how old they are. I'm still learning and doing my research.  I will post a picture of those crystals here soon.

8 hours ago, Matt_Digz said:

IMG_6411.JPG

Here, you have two brachiopods, rynchonellids but i'm not expert, on the top right, it looks like Archimede.

IMG_6418.JPG

Those ones look like ichno fossils, infilled burrows.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

The girlfriend and I had a blast down in Madison and we will definitely be going back! Here's my collection that I found.  The one shell has a hole in it but I'm a good way!  It has little crystals on the inside!

IMG_6410.JPG

The two on the top right and the four on the bottom right of the middle coin are other rynchonellids.

The ones on the top and left are rugose corals.

The little ones on the bottom right beside the coin are either tabulate corals or branched sponges (the photo is a bit blurry).

• I found this Informative 2

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Upper Ordovician Richmond stage

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

On 8/21/2017 at 0:30 PM, Matt_Digz said:

IMG_6411.JPG

Nice finds!  It looks like you have 3 brachiopods and 1 crinoid stem (upper right) in this picture - congratulations!

Monica

On 8/21/2017 at 9:15 PM, fifbrindacier said:

The little ones on the bottom right beside the coin are either tabulate corals or branched sponges (the photo is a bit blurry).

They could also be branching bryozoans (if the pores are very tiny)...

On 8/21/2017 at 0:27 PM, Matt_Digz said:

IMG_6410.JPG

This site will help you ID them.http://strata.uga.edu/cincy/fauna., also the Dry Dredgers website.

the horn corals are "Grewinkia sp" the ridged brachiopoda are "Platystrophia sp" the flat  brachiopods are probably "Rafinesquina sp" You also have branching bryozoans, a crinoid stem , and possibly the brachiopod "Hebertella sp". 

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks