September Fossil Hunting Trip Planning Questions

Sagebrush Steve

My wife and I are starting to plan a trip for late September from our home in Northern California to do some trilobite hunting in Nevada and Utah.  Our main objective will be the U-Dig quarry out of Delta, Utah, but I'm also thinking of stopping at the Oak Springs Trilobite Site near Caliente, Nevada.  I've been to both places once before, about 10 years ago.  I did pretty well at U-Dig but struck out at Oak Springs because I didn't know what I was looking for.  Does anybody have any current advice for either of these sites?  I tried to search this forum for "U-Dig" but it returned no results even though I know some of you have posted about your trips there in the past.  And if anybody has any advice for Oak Springs (necessary tools, how to search, etc.), I'd appreciate it.  And if there are any other sites we should visit along the way (we won't be able to get to Green River this trip), let me know.  I'll update my post once we get back (assuming we don't strike out!).

In the town of Delta there is a rock shop on main street where you can buy a book of the area and hopefully he will be there to put some X's in the book for you.  Lots of the trilobite area's take some serious work and serious tools and even some serious time, but lots of site around that HUGE area.  Try and check out 'Red beds'  not too far from U-Dig, the Weeks Formation, stuff to be found there, but far and few between, the gogia beds, and also the Drums.  Good luck.

RB

• I found this Informative 2

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here is a link to a thread about the Oak Springs trilobite site.

And here is a link to Forum member TNGray's excellent account of collecting at Oak Springs, from his superb web site.

Don C

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Here is a link to a thread about the Oak Springs trilobite site.

And here is a link to Forum member TNGray's excellent account of collecting at Oak Springs, from his superb web site.

Don C

Thanks, the thread from archaeor was one of the things that inspired me to take a bit of a detour to go there.  I will let everyone know how it goes.