Please help to ID miocene fish!

dinosaur914

Dear Dinosaur914,

first of all - welcome to TFF!

As far as I remember, the Pohang basin is nonmarine to deep-marine strata with extreme facies changes - the Yeonil group seems to be very complex.

Do you know which sequence this fish came from - from the marine or non-marine part? This might help a bit. Not much detail to see, but for some reasons the fish reminds me of Myctophum, a marine deep water species. But I need to have a better look at the fins.

Right now I do not have access to google, but I will check the link when I am back home.

Thomas

PS: I've worked for a couple of month in Ulsan and hopefully will be back in Korea soon.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

1 hour ago, oilshale said:

Dear Dinosaur914,

first of all - welcome to TFF!

As far as I remember, the Pohang basin is nonmarine to deep-marine strata with extreme facies changes - the Yeonil group seems to be very complex.

Do you know which sequence this fish came from - from the marine or non-marine part? This might help a bit. Not much detail to see, but for some reasons the fish reminds me of Myctophum, a marine deep water species. But I need to have a better look at the fins.

Right now I do not have access to google, but I will check the link when I am back home.

Thomas

PS: I've worked for a couple of month in Ulsan and hopefully will be back in Korea soon.

It would be marine strata because starfish and echinoidea came with same strata.

but I didn't thought they are deep marine environment because of many plant tree leaf fossil discoverd together there.

so I thought it was shallow marine enviornment. but if you give me other idea, It will be very helpful.

Hi @dinosaur914,

That's a cool fish! Good find! :wub:

I can't help with ID though.

Just saying, I strongly disadvise sharing Google Drive links on open social media. Even though all we can do is view the pictures, people that are more handy with the computer can probably bring danger to you. I saw that there are 5 fish that you wanted to have a definitive ID on. Well, all you have to do is create 5 different topics here under the Fossil ID thread, and attach all pictures/documents here. You can download the text documents as PDF documents (so no one can change them) and attach them too. Then anyone can give their comments in a safe and easy way. I'm sure that the mods will remove the link for you and do this appropriately :)

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

8 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Hi @dinosaur914,

That's a cool fish! Good find! :wub:

I can't help with ID though.

Just saying, I strongly disadvise sharing Google Drive links on open social media. Even though all we can do is view the pictures, people that are more handy with the computer can probably bring danger to you. I saw that there are 5 fish that you wanted to have a definitive ID on. Well, all you have to do is create 5 different topics here under the Fossil ID thread, and attach all pictures/documents here. You can download the text documents as PDF documents (so no one can change them) and attach them too. Then anyone can give their comments in a safe and easy way. I'm sure that the mods will remove the link for you and do this appropriately :)

Best regards,

Max

thank you for kind recommend. I just wanted show more high resolution photos you know, here can't upload image over 4Mb.

But, your right. I agree upload post here to through split many image not to use Google Drive links.

5 minutes ago, dinosaur914 said:

thank you for kind recommend. I just wanted show more high resolution photos you know, here can't upload image over 4Mb.

But, your right. I agree upload post here to through split many image not to use Google Drive links.

:)

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Well I can't help beyond Ray finned fish as well, but it is a very nice fish!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Posting some of the pictures here for continuity and for those who do not wish to leave the Forum. 

Cropped and brightened, and contrasted them, too. 

VF0016 (2).JPG   VF0017 (1) Myctophidae.JPG   VF0018 (3).JPG

VF0020 (4) Scorpaenidae.JPG   VF0020 (3) Scorpaenidae.JPG   VF0021 (2)  phosichthyid stomiiforms.JPG

VF0023 (2) Gonostomatidae.JPG   VF0023 (3) Gonostomatidae.JPG  VF0023 (4) Gonostomatidae.JPG

VF0024 (2).JPG   VF0025 (2).JPG   VF0027 (1) Phosichthyidae.JPG

VF0026 (3).JPG     VF0026 (4).JPG   

VF0027 (2) Phosichthyidae.JPG      VF0028 (1).JPG

VF0027 (4) Phosichthyidae.JPG      VF0027 (5) Phosichthyidae.JPG     

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me