Savannah River Dredge Spoil Hunt

MCG DAWG

Took the wife to our college town of Athens Ga for several days last week to celebrate a wedding anniversary.  Since I have an addiction to shark tooth hunting I set her up with a day at the spa and proceeded to drive 4 hours each way with a  good friend for a shark tooth hunt on Friday.  Got a taxi haul out to the dredge spoil island from Bull River Marina down there.  Fourth time I've used them.  They are great and I highly recommend them if you're in the area.    

Had some good luck.  Found my first "large" meg.  If I'm measuring correctly it's almost 4 1/4 inches.  No great in situ pics.  I was so excited I picked it up and started dancing around like a little girl.  

A bit later I was going over some large granite rip rap and fell, striking my knee on an oyster covered rock, and laid my knee open.  Required some minor surgery to clean out, remove some oyster shell, debride some dead tissue, and do a two layer closure  Still can't bend my knee much, it hurts like a SOB . .  .but worth it to find a meg.  

My buddy found four to five  1 inch to 1.5 inch makos and great whites.  Between the two of us a four hour hunt yielded about 200 total teeth, some bone fragments, a vert or two, and what I think is a fossilized deer tooth with the root intact.  

Finally, when our charter boat picked us up he was doing a booze cruise ride around for nine 20 something women in bikinis on a bachelorette party.  Made for a nice view on the way back in!  

Meg1.jpg

Meg2.jpg

Meg3.jpg

Awesome scar (to be).  This hobby does exact it's price.  Booze cruise home sounds like a bonus (but I know I'd leave the bachelorette part out or I'd hear about that from the Mrs....no matter how nice the spa was  (good planning!)).

Congrats on the first big'en!

39 minutes ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

Awesome scar (to be).  This hobby does exact it's price.  Booze cruise home sounds like a bonus (but I know I'd leave the bachelorette part out or I'd hear about that from the Mrs....no matter how nice the spa was  (good planning!)).

Congrats on the first big'en!

Our wives just rolled their eyes when we told them about the ride back with the booze cruise.  I don't think they were worried about two of us being in any way attractive to women 15-20 years our junior!  

Sorry about the knee, but some nice megs! Our interests do have some occupational hazards, but the reward is great!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It's funny how we determine a worthwhile trip. I have gotten my car stuck in mud twice, but the finds made it "worthwhile". Been face to face with a bobcat, but the trip was "worthwhile ". 

BTW, most of us show pics of the local wildlife we encounter. You certainly left us hanging!

oh yeah, nice tooth!

Oh sure, you couldn't give us a shot of the tooth in-situ, but you let us view your bloody open knee...ewww!  At least you were able to return home on your own accord and didn't need to be heli- vaced out. You'd probably be paying the price for that tooth for years to come.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Congrats on an excellent find:fistbump: scars are tattoos with better stories:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!