Maybe a really dumb question about scapula's

Haravex

Ok this might be the most stupid question you have even had on here but it's bugging me and can't seem to get any good pages or images on google, and it is basically to do with the scapula and coracoid, how would it have been attached to the main skeletal system of theropods? as from looking at museum's and models it seem like it is just slapped on the side of the ribs which would not have provided much support or structure, and with sauropods would it have been attached to fused vertebrae like it would be for sacral vertebrae? Thanks for you time to read this.

Matt 

Its not a stupid question, I have been wondering this for a while too! 

I believe it was just held on by muscles and other tissues, like in the picture:

4d31082f0543912eaf64ae04d0bfe701.jpg.3464ffc8b140b0490c94266633496f61.jpg

Thanks for the fast reply and the help, and idea about sauropods? think i need a book on dinosaur anatomy 101 XD

I think it's like this in most animals (including humans) because it give it better motion, it is after all a joint that needs to swivel. In addition to being covered by muscle I would assume there is some cartilage structures in place to hold in place and lubricate to allow for better movement.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason