Fossilized bone?

Mackle

Hi there!

Welcome to the forum!

I think what you have is a modern bone that's been butchered - the clean slice and markings on the straight cut make me think that this is so, but I'm definitely not a bone expert (nor an expert of any kind, for that matter!) - let's see what others think...

Monica

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with @Monica, that be from a butchered animal, the usual suspects come to mind (cow,pig, etc).

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, Mackle said:

thanks, disappointing of course.

There will be many let-downs while looking for fossils - I've certainly had my fair share!  Where in Australia are you looking?  Here in the Toronto area I've had some success looking for fossils along creeks and rivers, and I know that many others have been able to find fossils along road cuts as well as in quarries, so they are definitely out there...

Best of look in your search!

Monica

10 minutes ago, Mackle said:

thanks, disappointing of course.

Better to have picked up a modern cow bone than left a fossil! Check geologic maps for good formation. Australia is of course huge, but I've heard of fossils from many places there, like Mount Isa, Gunn point, etc. some searches online, as well as one the forum may yield some nice sites. Good Luck!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason