Colorado sites? petrified wood and/or fossils?

CBOB

My wife and I are headed to a wedding in Denver this weekend.  I know its short notice but any locals have any suggestions or hot spots for some petrified wood or some fossils?  I am already planning a trip to Florissant for the pay dig shale splitting for a few hours.  And I have found a lot of possible petrified wood spots but don't know how much time I have to be scouting uncharted territories.  And of course I am not going to say no to any good fossil spots either.  I do have tumblers and rock saws so the petrified wood is really on my radar.  I do have the Rockhounding Colorado book too but thought I would reach out to the locals on this one.

Thanks!

Chris

Hope someone locals chime in with some suggestions. We are shortly heading that way. Flying into Denver then driving up to Kemmerer to hunt fish for the day. Heading down to Colorado Springs to spend a few hours splitting shale in Florissant. In between doing some hiking and beer drinking.

Good luck and I hope you find somethings that you are hunting for.

12 minutes ago, kirk said:

Hope someone locals chime in with some suggestions. We are shortly heading that way. Flying into Denver then driving up to Kemmerer to hunt fish for the day. Heading down to Colorado Springs to spend a few hours splitting shale in Florissant. In between doing some hiking and beer drinking.

Good luck and I hope you find somethings that you are hunting for.

Thanks Kirk!  I've been to Florissant to split shale before and it really is pretty cool.  This will be my second time going back.  Hoping to get some petrified wood this trip too so fingers crossed!

@FossilDudeCO This seems up Your way.

For petrified wood there is always the Blue Forest. It is 50-60 miles (?) east of Kemmerer. Hard digging, but nice pieces. It is possible to find some surface pieces.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for the kick @ynot 

I actually do nearly all of my hunting in Wyoming :headscratch:

My family had a house in Parker that they recently sold where I was picking up all of my petrified wood.

Nearly all the land I drive through is private. I am busy this weekend or I would love to take you out!

@CBOB You could always swing by my house and hunt through my tub of petrified wood ;)