Coral fossil id

Madoza

Found this while camping in Kentucky during the eclipse. looking for fossils with my daughter and wife were a highlight of the trip. I'd love to know more thanks!

IMG_0555.JPG

After searching the forum realized I hadn't illustrated scale or described location. Northern end of land between the lakes ky. Gravel beach. More pics

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

Rudist colonies?

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here's a geological map of Kentucky (from http://www.uky.edu/KGS/geoky/): 

kygeo.jpg.53bc456915c18db919192b9b8b6d385f.jpg

Where did you find these, @Madoza?  I think that what you likely have are colonial rugose (horn) corals - they lived from the Ordovician through to the Permian (according to Wikipedia), so if you found these specimens in a place that is purple, red, or blue on the map above, then I think that that's what you probably have.

Thanks for sharing!

Monica

• I found this Informative 2

I just posted some Alleyne Nicholson,I think it might be one of these(favositid).

Tarq will draw & quarter me,no doubt 

favo56ghb.jpg

These were sitting a few feet from each other but I thought they might be different species. Mostly given the size disparity. I'm very ignorant regarding fossils; can I expect these washed up on shore out of the lake? or were they encased in the dirt bank where they were revealed via erosion? I plan on reading up but I'm curious in the mean time. Thanks for the theories!

This is a common Mississippian coral from the Midwest states: Acrocyathus (=Lithostrotionella)

Here is a good paper:

Sando, W.J. (1983)
Revision of Lithostrotionella (Coelenterata, Rugosa) from the Carboniferous and Permian.
United States Geological Survey Professional Paper, 1247:1-52  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

4 minutes ago, Monica said:

Here's a geological map of Kentucky (from http://www.uky.edu/KGS/geoky/): 

kygeo.jpg.53bc456915c18db919192b9b8b6d385f.jpg

Where did you find these, @Madoza?  I think that what you likely have are colonial rugose (horn) corals - they lived from the Ordovician through to the Permian (according to Wikipedia), so if you found these specimens in a place that is purple, red, or blue on the map above, then I think that that's what you probably have.

Thanks for sharing!

Monica

The northern tip of lbl (land between the lakes) is in west ky which is in the green but very close to blue. The map is excellent! Where can I find one of tn? I live~10 miles from the coon creek dig.

They're rugose colonies, Mississippian if they're north end of Kentucky Lake. (Horn coral refers to solitary species though it's not a technical term.)

I'm not well up on US Carb corals (we've got different ones in the UK!) but the first and last ones could be Lithostrotionella

(As usual, sections might be needed for a definite ID though someone with good local coral knowledge might not need them.)

Edit: Piranha got there first!

Tarquin

9 minutes ago, Madoza said:

These were sitting a few feet from each other but I thought they might be different species. Mostly given the size disparity. I'm very ignorant regarding fossils; can I expect these washed up on shore out of the lake? or were they encased in the dirt bank where they were revealed via erosion? I plan on reading up but I'm curious in the mean time. Thanks for the theories!

Hi again!

I know nothing about which species these could be - I will say that your smaller specimen looks more like a colonial rugose coral to me since the individuals look more like horns than the individuals in your larger specimen, but I am no expert - I defer to them :)

Monica

5 minutes ago, Madoza said:

The northern tip of lbl (land between the lakes) is in west ky which is in the green but very close to blue. The map is excellent! Where can I find one of tn? I live~10 miles from the coon creek dig.

How about this geological map of Tennessee?  It's from https://www.tn.gov/environment/article/geo-maps-list-of-maps-publications:geology_geologic-map-lg.jpg

Enjoy!

Monica

geology_geologic-map-lg.jpg

1 minute ago, doushantuo said:

26 minutes ago, piranha said:

This is a common Mississippian coral from the Midwest states: Acrocyathus (=Lithostrotionella)

Here is a good paper:

Sando, W.J. (1983)
Revision of Lithostrotionella (Coelenterata, Rugosa) from the Carboniferous and Permian.
United States Geological Survey Professional Paper, 1247:1-52  PDF LINK

LOL

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

16 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

What Tarq means:

Btw: nobody mentions Dorlodotia anymore:P

I've got some UK Dorlodotia - used to be Thysanophyllum which is now restricted to the cerioid forms:)

Tarquin

8 minutes ago, piranha said:

LOL

Hey, great minds think alike!

(I much prefer that to the rest of the phrase, which is "and simple seldom differ")

Don