I found this fossil in the drive is it a mushroom??

Elsbels

I found this fossil in our drive and i think it looks like a mushroom!is it actually a fossil of a mushroom??

front IMG_4816.PNG.db9b823bc8b35c8b2e1545e7a893fe5a.PNG

back

image.thumb.jpg.cda366a6375e664b218919531e3ae69b.jpg

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

If what you have there is indeed a fossil, it is likely not a mushroom - they rarely fossilize.  It is more likely that you have a coral of some sort, although the "back" of the specimen doesn't really look coral-like...

Let's see what the others have to say...

Monica

3 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Welcome to the forum. 

Can you give a location and add a ruler for scale, this will help identification. 

Agreed, although location might be harder to pin down as she mentioned finding it on her driveway, and so it might be imported gravel from... who knows where.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

Agreed, although location might be harder to pin down as she mentioned finding it on her driveway, and so it might be imported gravel from... who knows where.

My bad. 

Just now, JohnBrewer said:

My bad. 

Well, not so much... It is possible that the gravel can be traced to somewhere. I wouldn't think it likely that they would ship it in from the furthest possible point. It might be a reasonable first assumption to make that it is locally derived, and so location may give us a clue - or at least give us something to rule out if this type of fossil is not local to the area. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanx for all the replies!

We are on the the edge of the Cotswolds and the stones came from a local merchant, Cotswold tool hire, I think?

it is only smallimage.thumb.jpg.026f999a738eb050270bb4a7ee6f5d90.jpg

and the top sort of curls in under it but I can't get a good picture showing it this is why I thought it was a mushroom and the lines on the top, I also thought the middle in the back could be the stalk? But I don't know enough about fossil.

it is a nice button coral. Similar to this one from the Cretaceous.

cor20.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived