Teeth Identification - Onslow Beach, North Carolina

racerzeke

Hello all! 

This is my second trip ever (the other was Purse State Park in MD) because I became addicted, so I am still learning the ropes but I am getting the eye for teeth! Onslow Beach is a beautiful beach aside from all the teeth! I tried my best to identify based on pictures that I have seen around the internet and I'm trying to be objective but it certainly is easy to see the "cooler" tooth as opposed to what it might be so that's why I ask and I'll try to be as detailed as possible!

#1. Wanted to start with stuff even I think I can identify, string ray?

IMG_2141.JPG.1da163ce1a6bd3fa90b90f41cf243f11.JPG

#2. Sand Tiger? Found many of these, but this was my largest! 

IMG_2148.JPG.b52a2057878818fa3c0ade118e0100ab.JPG

#3. Now it's less clear for me, this one throws me. I'm not even sure it's a tooth, it could be something else but the vertical indentations running up and down seem to stop and to me seems to be the separation between a tooth and root. The object itself is relatively flat. Maybe I am mistaken!

IMG_2142.JPG.1ab76f5b1559ffa1942d043966cda895.JPG

#4. This one also throws me, it's cylindrical and I was thinking maybe a crocodile/alligator? 

IMG_2146.JPG.09b6e64163d9958a3bcc2e799fbbc63f.JPG

#5. I thought these were very cool just because of the jagged edges and they were the most defined in these two although I am not sure they are of the same tooth. Wasn't sure?

IMG_2145.JPG.3e9724d26f76ce76e63311e304ecf717.JPG

#6. I think I am most excited about this one, Great White or Mako? Or am I seeing something "cooler" here? 

IMG_2144.JPG.854719bbd17d92a8b783a29c1979daf8.JPG

Thank you so much, I love the forums here and all the kind and warm welcomes and help I receive here. I am hoping with time I can become as experienced as you all I feel so silly asking because I know you guys have seen the same teeth a million times over but it means so much to have confirmation to what I find. Thanks again!

• I found this Informative 1

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

I'm pretty sure that #5 shows two different sharks - perhaps tiger for the top and hemipristis for the bottom?

As for #6 - can you see serrations present?  If so, then perhaps it is Great white but if not, then perhaps it's Mako.

Monica

• I found this Informative 2

I what's the age on this site? Bottom one may be a great white with serrations worn off, but could easily be Carcharodon hastilis (but I'm not good with sharks teeth despite hunting for them frequently). First a Ray teeth, 4 is croc. 3 is wierd, can we have a picture of the base? Does it have enamel? Guessing crab claw maybe?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

16 minutes ago, racerzeke said:

Hello all! 

This is my second trip ever (the other was Purse State Park in MD) because I became addicted, so I am still learning the ropes but I am getting the eye for teeth! Onslow Beach is a beautiful beach aside from all the teeth! I tried my best to identify based on pictures that I have seen around the internet and I'm trying to be objective but it certainly is easy to see the "cooler" tooth as opposed to what it might be so that's why I ask and I'll try to be as detailed as possible!

#1. Wanted to start with stuff even I think I can identify, string ray?

IMG_2141.JPG.1da163ce1a6bd3fa90b90f41cf243f11.JPG

#2. Sand Tiger? Found many of these, but this was my largest! 

IMG_2148.JPG.b52a2057878818fa3c0ade118e0100ab.JPG

#3. Now it's less clear for me, this one throws me. I'm not even sure it's a tooth, it could be something else but the vertical indentations running up and down seem to stop and to me seems to be the separation between a tooth and root. The object itself is relatively flat. Maybe I am mistaken!

IMG_2142.JPG.1ab76f5b1559ffa1942d043966cda895.JPG

#4. This one also throws me, it's cylindrical and I was thinking maybe a crocodile/alligator? 

IMG_2146.JPG.09b6e64163d9958a3bcc2e799fbbc63f.JPG

#5. I thought these were very cool just because of the jagged edges and they were the most defined in these two although I am not sure they are of the same tooth. Wasn't sure?

IMG_2145.JPG.3e9724d26f76ce76e63311e304ecf717.JPG

#6. I think I am most excited about this one, Great White or Mako? Or am I seeing something "cooler" here? 

IMG_2144.JPG.854719bbd17d92a8b783a29c1979daf8.JPG

Thank you so much, I love the forums here and all the kind and warm welcomes and help I receive here. I am hoping with time I can become as experienced as you all I feel so silly asking because I know you guys have seen the same teeth a million times over but it means so much to have confirmation to what I find. Thanks again!

@Monica is correct on #5. Top is a Galocerdo (Tiger) and bottom is a Hemipristis serra.

@WhodamanHD is correct on #4, croc or gator.

#3 You need to post photos from all sides. Might be fish tooth.

• I found this Informative 3

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Does #6 have serrations down the blade? If not it may be a hastalis (formerly known as Mako). If it does have serrations, it's probably a Great White.

Don't know much biology

1 minute ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Does #6 have serrations down the blade? If not it may be a hastalis (formerly known as Mako). If it does have serrations, it's probably a Great White.

Where the root meets the enamel, it has a point, is this a feature of the great whites or is it not a diagnostic feature? Just wondering for future reference. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD

FYI, you should only use the first initial of the Genus if you have already stated the full name previously. Also, the Genus gets capitalized, the species does not.

Don't know much biology

1 minute ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@WhodamanHD

FYI, you should only use the first initial of the Genus if you have already stated the full name previously. Also, the Genus gets capitalized, the species does not.

Oops sorry I knew that, let me fix that....

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Where the root meets the enamel, it has a point, is this a feature of the great whites or is it not a diagnostic feature? Just wondering for future reference. 

As worn and beat up as the root is, I wouldn't make any assumptions on it without additional photos.

@sixgill pete

#3 really looks fishy to me.

Don't know much biology

Don't know much biology

Wow I didn't expect so many replies so quickly! Thank you so much everyone, I do believe that #6 has serrations down the blade even though they are quite worn. Here is a picture of the reverse side where they can be seen easier.

IMG_2150.JPG.a3e63fd9c03b1930a9273877f025a635.JPG

It's interesting that #3 might be a fish, I typically would not have paid any attention because it seems as a while EVERY rock takes shape of a tooth of some sore but the ridges at the top running down and stopping made me hang on to it. Here are a few more pictures.

IMG_2151.JPG.e81cb30cea1c0e17a770e8de5316a639.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG.70d61d59865c7761dd0bc69aba36be4c.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG.a94e5d140b22c384da07ad070d1e512c.JPG

Rustdee is correct about #3. It is a sawfish rostral tooth. This one is from Anoxypristis and is most likely Oligocene.

• I found this Informative 4

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Rustdee is correct about #3. It is a sawfish rostral tooth. This one is from Anoxypristis and is most likely Oligocene.

I agree 100% with Al Dente on this.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

12 hours ago, racerzeke said:

Wow I didn't expect so many replies so quickly! Thank you so much everyone, I do believe that #6 has serrations down the blade even though they are quite worn. Here is a picture of the reverse side where they can be seen easier.

I think that your tooth is a small Great White. I also wonder if that small "v" in the center where root meets blade is diagnostic.

A great thing about this hobby is finding and identifying new and diverse fossil teeth. Congratulations on some great finds.

GreatWhiteMrg1.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I think that your tooth is a small Great White. I also wonder if that small "v" in the center where root meets blade is diagnostic.

A great thing about this hobby is finding and identifying new and diverse fossil teeth. Congratulations on some great finds.

GreatWhiteMrg1.jpg

I did some research (I.E. looking up pictures on google) and most Megs have the V, great whites have it, though slightly less and hastilis doesn't usually have it but if it does it's almost unnoticeable. Maybe this shows how hastilis may have evolved into the white shark, it got slightly bigger. I'm also thinking size might be a factor in the pointed roots. Maybe someone will know more.

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 5 weeks later...

Hi! We go to Onslow beach too & dive for meg teeth out in NC.

#1 is a stingray mouth plate

#2 is extinct Sand tiger 

#3 whale bone... there are tons on whale rib bones because Meg sharks ate them so you can find bite marks in them sometimes.

#5 tiger

#6 white shark or mako 

16 minutes ago, Scuba_girl said:

Hi! We go to Onslow beach too & dive for meg teeth out in NC.

#1 is a stingray mouth plate

#2 is extinct Sand tiger 

#3 whale bone... there are tons on whale rib bones because Meg sharks ate them so you can find bite marks in them sometimes.

#5 tiger

#6 white shark or mako 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

#3 was determined to be a sawfish rostral tooth. 

#6 is a great white - has serrations - mako teeth do not have serrations. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

#3 was determined to be a sawfish rostral tooth. 

#6 is a great white - has serrations - mako teeth do not have serrations. ;) 

Regards,

Cool! I’ve found a ton of bones out there... yep I thought 6 was either a great white or mako... good to know the difference :) 

but today I found a really neat Ray mouth plate.