Hi,

I purchased a gift for my wife for our wedding anniversary. Both me and my wife grew up loving Jurassic Park and being fascinated by dinosaurs and I have recently started to get into fossil collecting!

We are going to Weymouth in the UK next year as well so hopefully will spend some time on The Jurassic Coast fossil hunting!

The picture is a Fragment of a Juvenile Rib Bone. I purchased it offline from a seller who has good reviews etc apparently the specimen is from Mongolia. I have looked into T-rex fossils and the price of a genuine tooth which is crazy money so I decided to purchase this bone fragment.

I noticed there's a resin substance on the Fossil like a varnish and it feels very light but just wondering if that is just to protect it.

thanks a lotIMG_2125.thumb.JPG.b73fde4d38c3c3cf41796c5d4ecc20f8.JPG

W

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Edited by AJPW

Yes it's to protect it, it's a probably a consolidating. Tyrannosaurus rex only lived in North America, although the Mongolian Tarbosaurus Bataar may be synonymous with T. Rex. I'm also not sure how they would determine tyrranousar from this fragment, but with its size and thin walls it's definitely a possibility. Maybe others will chime in and confirm or deny me.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree with WhodamanHD. It may be from Of juvenile rib bone of a Tarbosaurus bataar, which was discovered in Mongolia. Tarbosaurus bataar is from the family Tyrannosauridae, which is the same family as Tyrannosaurus rex. But even this can not be absolutely certain, because the fragment is too small for a correct ID.

Do not worry about the information from the sellers, Some sellers are just mercenaries who do not care about serious collectors... They always label it as being from a Tyrannosaurus rex. I have seen, even Moroccan teeth of Carcharodontosaurus saharicus being sold as "authentic" T. Rex teeth. :blink:

9580396204.png

But anyway, it's a beautiful fossil and you can keep it with a lot of affection. :wub:

04.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Hi,

Brilliant thanks for all your help :)!!!

I hope find some Fossils on the Jurassic Coast next year and hopefully I will be able to post some I've found!

7 minutes ago, AJPW said:

Hi,

I hope find some Fossils on the Jurassic Coast next year and hopefully I will be able to post some I've found!

Can't wait to see your finds, good luck! :popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, AJPW said:

Hi,

It is always a pleasure to help! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

It will be a great pleasure to see your photos posted here at TFF! Good luck on the fossil hunt at Jurassic Coast, UK. We look forward to the photos! Hugs!

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

• 11 months later...