Request help finding a GSA document

Arizona Chris

HI all,

we are doing some research on gastropods in the permian, and have not had much luck finding this very important reference on line.  Can any one point us in the right direction?  Maybe you have a PDF?

Supal Formation (Permian) of Eastern Arizona. Geological Society of America Memoir 89. Stephen S. Winters. Geological Society of America, New York, 1963. viii + 99 pp. Illus

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Unfortunately, the only access I can find for this reference is a pay-per-view site (GeoScienceWorld) where you can pay to 'rent' the article for 72 hours.  Maybe somebody with institutional access can find a copy for you.  Here's a link to the GeoScienceWorld portal.  LINK

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I bought a copy a few years ago. Look for a used copy to buy, have the Payson Library obtain a copy on loan or buy the ebook version: https://books.google.com/books?id=7vpMW5zALNQC&source=gbs_navlinks_s

I am also willing to help you ID fossils with my copy. BTW, Winters does not describe any ostracods.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

DPS Ammonite - Im looking for the ID of the trilobite they found there, and two - the tiny ribbed scaphopod we found in our acid fines as well.  Can you look these two items up for me? Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

EDIT: Oops. I meant to say that the Fort Apache Limestone was once part of the Permian Supai Formation and not the Mississipian Redwall Limestone. Fortunately the best reference is from the USGS and is free: 

"The Supai Group of Grand Canyon" Professional Paper 1173 By: Edwin Dinwiddie McKee

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1173/report.pdf

Chris and I can use the Redwall refernce since we both collect there.

Here is a relavent reference that Arizona Cris and I can use. Does anyone have a pdf of it to send to us? 

Geological Society of America Volume 114.  

The Fort Apache limestone was originally including in the Redwall Formation and is of a similiar age. The fossils may also be similiar. Both Chris and I have found fossils in the Fort Apache limestone that have not been identified yet. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Here is a relavent reference that Arizona Cris and I can use. Does anyone have a pdf of it to send to us? 

Geological Society of America Volume 114.  

Please send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it for you.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

"Facies analysis of the Redwall Limestone suggests two major transgressive sequences in northeastern Arizona. The first major transgression of the sea spread slowly from the west and was followed by a rapid regression. The second major transgression consisted of three rapid transgressions in northeastern Arizona separated by relatively slow partial regressions caused by prograding sedimentation. Facies geometry of the first transgression best fits the Shaw-Irwin model of epeiric deposition with welldeveloped transgressive and regressive facies whereas the second transgression best fits Coogan's asymmetrical model of epeiric deposition with poorly developed transgressive facies. Textural analysis of the Redwall Limestone to determine facies relations and depositional environments included differentiation of the carbonate grain types into the following textural rock types: dolomite, stromatolitic wackestone, pi soli ti c wackestone, calcispheric packstone, pelletal packstone, oolitic packstone and grainstone, foramini feral grainstone, crinoidal grainstone and packstone. These textural rock types may be grouped into four depositional facies: Facies I, crinoidal packstone--open marine; Facies II, crinoidal and foraminiferal grainstone-- open "intratidal"; Facies III, oolitic grainstone and packstone, and pelletal packstone—protected "intratidal"; Facies IV, algal (calcispheres, stromatolites, pisolites) packstone and wackestones and dolomite--supratidal."

(Kent,1980)

maybe you can use the bibliography of this one?

report (2).pdf

asthc.jpg

6 hours ago, Arizona Chris said:

HI all,

we are doing some research on gastropods in the permian, and have not had much luck finding this very important reference on line.  Can any one point us in the right direction?  Maybe you have a PDF?

Supal Formation (Permian) of Eastern Arizona. Geological Society of America Memoir 89. Stephen S. Winters. Geological Society of America, New York, 1963. viii + 99 pp. Illus

I see you typed 'Supal' instead of Supai... not sure if that was just a typo, but it could make things difficult to find (I'm not assuming you don't know the proper name!)

Wrangellian - I just cut and pasted the document title from the Geoscience Portal web site.  THey have a typo on that label.  

Wow, how did this turn into a discussion on the Redwall?  I DO have an original of the Memoir 114 in my home library.  

It is interesting that the trilobites - as super rare as they are - are Anisopyge sp.  Same as the Kaibab formation which is also permian and covers all of northern arizona.  We found one pygidium, two partials, and a glabella recently in the acid fines.  

doushantuo - dead link....

Arizona Chris