Green Mill Run (Day 1) Continued

anthracite31

Holy belemnites, Batman!!!  I can hardly wait to see what else you find...! :popcorn:

Monica

PS - Those are belemnites, right?  I've never collected one before so I'm just going by what I've seen on TFF...

NICE!!yeah,belemnites( duvaliid b.,Lukeneder ,Acta geol. pol.,2005)

lukduvalover51AH8wMMunL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(Klug,Lethaia,2009,lithographic limestone preservation with arm hooks,etc)

lukduvalover51AH8wMMunL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

NICE!!yeah,belemnites( duvaliid b.,Lukeneder ,Acta geol. pol.,2005)l

Since there are no chamber divisions present, I'm assuming that those pieces are belemnite rostra?  (I'm assuming that this is the plural for "rostrum" - I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds good :P)

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

correct on both counts.

about the chambers,i seem to remember something

I'm just curious about belemnite body structure because back in 2000 I collected two fossils while on a university field trip in Queensland, Australia.  I thought for sure that I had found an orthoconic nautiloid and something else that I couldn't identify, but that unknown item has turned out to be an ammonite (Malcolm here on TFF is prepping it for me, and he showed me the suture lines, so it's definitely an ammonite), so the other item can't be an orthoconic nautiloid since they didn't co-exist.  Someone suggested that perhaps the other item might be a belemnite rather than an orthoconic nautiloid, but since I'd only seen belemnites here on TFF with no visible chamber divisions, I wasn't so sure.  Now I'm thinking that the other item might indeed be a belemnite - not the rostrum (which lacks chambers), but the phragmocone (which has chambers).  Thanks for the pictures, @doushantuo!

Doyle et al's pictorial summary of the "battlefields"(proceeding from an Antarctic example):

jj6jhb.jpg

Archived