Allosaurus bone fragment?

njcreekhunter

I purchased this bone fragment at a fossil show. It's from the Morrison formation of Utah. I suspect it's theropod, most likely Allosaurus because of its hollow nature but I just wanted to get other opinions on it. Thanks everyone!

allo bone 1.JPG

allo bone 2.JPG

allo bone 3.JPG

I'm not seeing a hollow bone, however it is a rather unique bone fragment. Possibly a skull fragment? It's a bit of a chunkosaurus

Looks like a partial piece of bone that was 'hollow' where the marrow was?  Im no dino expert by any means.  Ive got one piece that shows where minerals filled in the marrow space.

RB

DSCN0749.JPG

I would say theropod is a good guess, but i imagine you can not tell which genus.  There are at least three genera of large theropods found in the Morrison.

Concept ?

It seems likely that public (my at least) perception has been skewed by the increased chance of having been exposed to cancelous bone from a tyrannosaur as an example. 

Thanks for the replies everyone! I was thinking maybe a fragment of a limb bone that would've been hollow in the middle. The bone that's there is dense though. So it's pretty safe to label this as theropod for my collection?

• I found this Informative 1