what kind of stone is this?

Kingofthekats

Chert is the first thing that pops to mind, try a hardness test, it could pinpoint the rock.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The "grain" of it suggest a metamorphic rock. The smooth surface indicates stream tumbled. The reddish brown color indicates it was buried near iron.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

we have found similar rounded (and some a bit larger) which we were told by fellow rock chasers they were most likley used as

'warming stones' for soups or other liquid meals prepared in pots made of animal stomachs or other animal organs.

the stones are heated in the fire and then dropped into the stew/soup to heat it.  they would be removed from the food and replaced in the fire and other (hot) stones would be put into the food...over and over until the food was ready and hot.

many times we have found them broken after one too many heating/cooling.

??

bob

3 minutes ago, vonfatman said:

we have found similar rounded (and some a bit larger) which we were told by fellow rock chasers they were most likley used as

'warming stones' for soups or other liquid meals prepared in pots made of animal stomachs or other animal organs.

the stones are heated in the fire and then dropped into the stew/soup to heat it.  they would be removed from the food and replaced in the fire and other (hot) stones would be put into the food...over and over until the food was ready and hot.

many times we have found them broken after one too many heating/cooling.

??

bob

That is a possibility, but it would have to be found in context (like a known camp or village site) to be sure it is a cooking stone. I can pick up hundreds of rocks like that in any river gravel bar.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived