Indian Artifact?

Adam Hamby

I am having immense difficulty identifying this item with any amount of certainty.I found this in a small creek/ditch in a very rural part of Jefferson County, Mississippi. Several pottery shards, flakes were found within just a few yards of this piece. It appears to be from quartzite. I foolishly scrubbed this item like there was no tomorrow in order to remove a thick layer of black buildup from its years in the creek. I hope you will find time to offer some input. 
Sincerely,
Adam N. Hamby

IMG_5022.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

Another couple of views 

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

Looks like an artifact to me, too many regularities in my eye for it to be natural.  It also looks like an igneous rock, which I would think would be uncommon in Mississippi.  I would call it a mortar.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks for the input Brent. Mortar has been my best guess also. Seems small to be a mortar. With such care and time that was taken to form it to I would expect it to be larger. Wasn't a large amount of anything being ground in this at a time if fact it is a mortar. 

I would bring it to a museum that has a history of Nature American studies or at least call a few museums and ask them to recommend someone that can help you ID this for you. I for one would like to hear what they have to say about it.....Keep us informed.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Archived