Found this at an estate sale, Can anyone help identify it and it's value?

NixFossils

Those are fish from Brazil.  Probably pricey these days as it is now illegal to export them.  VERY good find.  You probably got them for next to nothing at an estate sale.  Great Find.

Joe

Welcome to the Forum! :)
Unfortunately we do not appraise values at TFF, but My guesses related to the fishes would be Rhacolepis buccalis and Vinctifer comptoni.
Try to compare them with the specimens below.

59a327c96d456_R.buccalis.thumb.jpg.5d793df637b7f6553c2a95c539154b96.jpg59a327c580253_V.comptoni.thumb.jpg.1582d1256216997b0e54a9a73f8eb0f0.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This formation (Santana formation) is from the Albian subdivision of the lower Cretaceous, so you got yourself two beautiful crossed 100 Million Year Old fish. Great buy!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you all for your fantastic advice. The specimen originally went for 950 then they brought it down to 400 the second day. Has anyone seen any fakes with two fish crossed in this way? I was told by someone who sells them high end in Canada and he insisted it was a fake. The original owner traveled the world and must have gotten it ages ago. I see the scales overlap on both fish so it's hard to believe it's fake.

IMG_0021.JPG

I think there's too much detail for fakery, though the tail fins on the Rhacolepis buccalis look like there may have been some guess work on the part of the preparer.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

24 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I can't figure out why anyone would cut the matrix out from between them like that.

Ditto

Definitely not fake and let's just say you got one HECK of a deal!! That is a top notch piece from the famous Santana formation. Unfortunately the prep is a bit amateur, but still a great piece. Congratulations!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

20 hours ago, jpc said:

They didn't cut the matrix out, these thongs come n concretions, so this was an X-shaped concretion. 

Oh? I could swear it looks like someone sculpted the edges like they did the top surfaces around the fish.

Archived