Innocentx

One of these days a geologist is going to drive by and tell me which formation I'm in. That's my hope, anyway.

I found this sticking out of layer in creek side. These tiny gastropods were located in only one place (I checked carefully) on this slab and they seem to be confined inside the outline of an aviculopecten valve.

The largest individual is just under 3 mm and the smallest less than 1 mm. I thought they might also be forams because of their size, just not sure.

Areas that were enlarged or magnified are circled in red.

3.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

gastropod mag 1.jpg

gastropod mag 2.jpg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I think the serpulid spirorbis is it, thank you, @TqB Any idea what they're doing in this location? It appears to be a nursery of sorts, where possibly eggs were laid and taken into this bivalve/host which then became the meal. The smallest ones appear to be attached to shell.

48 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

I think the serpulid spirorbis is it, thank you, @TqB Any idea what they're doing in this location? It appears to be a nursery of sorts, where possibly eggs were laid and taken into this bivalve/host which then became the meal. The smallest ones appear to be attached to shell.

Typical for serpulid, they attach to most hard surfaces. For example this encrusted scallop from Massachusetts I found online:

IMG_2943.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

"Microconchids are tiny encrusters (Fig. 1A) that appeared in the Late Ordovician and lasted nearly up to the end of the Middle Jurassic (e.g. Taylor & Vinn 2006; Vinn & Mutvei 2009; Vinn 2010). They possessed calcitic, spirally coiled tubes that made them similar to the Recent polychaete genus Spirorbis (Fig. 1B). Critically, for decades microconchids were treated by palaeontologists and geologists as representatives of spirorbine (Spirorbis or Neomicrorbis= Spirorbula; e.g. Palmer & Fu¨rsich 1981; Palmer & Wilson 1990) polychaetes. However, the investigations of Weedon (1991) and thorough studies (e.g. Taylor & Vinn 2006; Vinn & Taylor 2007; Vinn & Mutvei 2009; Vinn 2010) have definitely shown, on the basis of microstructural observations, that microconchids belonged to the extinct tentaculitoids (Class Tentaculita Boucˇek 1964), and that phylogenetically they are closer to Recent lophophorates such as brachiopods and phoronids. In the past, microconchids occupied many different environments, from marine to brackish and freshwater habitats (see Taylor & Vinn 2006; Vinn 2010). Therefore, their affiliation with polychaetes had sometimes a dramatic effect on palaeoenvironmental interpretations." - as it is stated here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Have you tried biostratigraphy to date it yet? The scallop places it in the Paleozoic (because to me knowledge there is no Triassic exposure in Kansas) What other species have you found here?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hi, @WhodamanHD. According to @abyssunder the 'spirorbis' of Paleozoic and Mesozoic have been reclassified as Microconchids.

I found this near the boundary of late Carboniferous/early Permian. 

For some reason I'm unable to see my tags for this post where I gave the geologic periods. Can anyone else?? From now on I'll make sure to include that in the written part of my posts.

As for it's neighbors, there are the usual suspects of the marine environment at that time.

2 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

For some reason I'm unable to see my tags for this post where I gave the geologic periods. Can anyone else?? From now on I'll make sure to include that in the written part of my 

The tags are there, but they are invisible because they are white on a white background. Nobody can see them unless you click on that area and then they show up dark grey.   Not sure if there is an effort / ability to fix this.  Hopefully.

@abyssunder     @WhodamanHD  @TqB 

Thanks for the responses. As usual, I've got new understanding, though still curious about the life cycle of these creatures and what may have been happening here.

Thanks @Peat Burns. Yes, a fix would be nice.

42 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

The tags are there, but they are invisible because they are white on a white background. Nobody can see them unless you click on that area and then they show up dark grey.   Not sure if there is an effort / ability to fix this.  Hopefully.

Sounds like an issue with the theme you are using. :( 

There is another update out, but I don't know when it will be applied. 

Maybe @Cris can do something behind the scenes to fix the color boxes.

The tags are easy to overlook, ... even when they are in black boxes. 
It's always best to put location information directly in the post. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Sounds like an issue with the theme you are using. :( 

There is another update out, but I don't know when it will be applied. 

Maybe @Cris can do something behind the scenes to fix the color boxes.

The tags are easy to overlook, ... even when they are in black boxes. 
It's always best to put location information directly in the post. ;) 

Thanks for this info.  I was on "classic" theme instead of "main theme default". The tags are showing up now!   The weird thing is that I thought I tried that once to no avail.  But it worked this time :yay-smiley-1:

11 hours ago, abyssunder said:

"Microconchids are tiny encrusters (Fig. 1A) that appeared in the Late Ordovician and lasted nearly up to the end of the Middle Jurassic (e.g. Taylor & Vinn 2006; Vinn & Mutvei 2009; Vinn 2010). They possessed calcitic, spirally coiled tubes that made them similar to the Recent polychaete genus Spirorbis (Fig. 1B). Critically, for decades microconchids were treated by palaeontologists and geologists as representatives of spirorbine (Spirorbis or Neomicrorbis= Spirorbula; e.g. Palmer & Fu¨rsich 1981; Palmer & Wilson 1990) polychaetes. However, the investigations of Weedon (1991) and thorough studies (e.g. Taylor & Vinn 2006; Vinn & Taylor 2007; Vinn & Mutvei 2009; Vinn 2010) have definitely shown, on the basis of microstructural observations, that microconchids belonged to the extinct tentaculitoids (Class Tentaculita Boucˇek 1964), and that phylogenetically they are closer to Recent lophophorates such as brachiopods and phoronids. In the past, microconchids occupied many different environments, from marine to brackish and freshwater habitats (see Taylor & Vinn 2006; Vinn 2010). Therefore, their affiliation with polychaetes had sometimes a dramatic effect on palaeoenvironmental interpretations." - as it is stated here

Thanks for reminding us of that :) - I've just remembered discussing these in a post somewhere about Coal Measures specimens.

Tarquin

I've seen these on my extant abalone shell specimens too, and I've wondered what they were. Cool to see the same thing on a fossil from millions of years ago!

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Yes, @fossiling, I was intrigued by what has been referred to as a "spatfall" (thank you @doushantuo).  There are several closely related definitions of this word, which I find fitting for what seems to have occurred here. It may depend on whether microconchids are classified as mollusks.

Archived