Countries you can collect and buy fossils from

Haravex

I can see all kinds of legal problems ensuing from someone taking their information from a vague internet source, getting in trouble, then suing the Fossil Forum, because of sketchy information. :( 

There is a reason there aren't many good answers here to previously posted questions - the Forum does not wish to incur any legal action against itself.

Being a one stop repository would be great, but none of the Admins or Moderators here have the time (or desire) to research this and maintain it.

For all practical purposes, this is not a great idea to have this list here.

It is best to let it be said that it is incumbent on the collector to figure out the rules and regulations concerning fossil collection, either by personal collecting or by purchase, in whatever country they are from, or are in, at the time of collection.

As much as it would be great to have such a list, it really should not be here. :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I can see all kinds of legal problems ensuing from someone taking their information from a vague internet source, getting in trouble, then suing the Fossil Forum, because of sketchy information. :( 

There is a reason there aren't many good answers here to previously posted questions - the Forum does not wish to incur any legal action against itself.

Being a one stop repository would be great, but none of the Admins or Moderators here have the time (or desire) to research this and maintain it.

For all practical purposes, this is not a great idea to have this list here.

It is best to let it be said that it is incumbent on the collector to figure out the rules and regulations concerning fossil collection, either by personal collecting or by purchase, in whatever country they are from, or are in, at the time of collection.

As much as it would be great to have such a list, it really should not be here. :unsure: 

Well said, Tim.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

"I read it on the internet" is not a legal defense.
Get this sort of information from the source, in writing. Then verify it. (Even then there will remain ambiguities, and secondary liabilities when you import them to your own country). Laws can change, too, and it is not the responsibility of any government to let you know.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

52 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Ok was only an idea to help members of the community not cause problems, sorry.

No apologies necessary. Our community only gets better with the free flow of ideas and suggestions by our members. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH ON LEGALITIES CONCERNING YOUR FOSSILS.

This topic is now locked.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic