Found this while moving stones

Ozzya

I found this stone while moving some garden rocks and it had something that called my attention. I couldn't figure out what it is. I could t find a ruler or anything so I put a golf ball for size comparison

What do you think?

Unknown fossil maybe ?           LINK

Let me know if you can see them.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Better to post photos directly to the site, rather than a 3rd party hosting site. :unsure: 

Those links are usually temporary, and without the pictures, the text becomes meaningless. ;) 

Regards, 

EDIT: Posting a photo of the find here, for when the inevitable happens.  

5ih243u.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It may be a Silurian aged cephalopod called Dawsonoceras.  If you could provide a general location (state, or nearby city) we could determine the age of your rock, possibly. 

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

All your pictures are showing up fine here, now. I agree that it is likely a nautiloid, and the ribbing / distinct annulations seems to fit Dawsonoceras. If it is indeed Silurian and found in Ontario, there is a band of Silurian exposures that run from Niagara up through Tobermory and along the south of Manitoulin Island.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks!! If it is indeed that, it was a big big fellow 

And yeah in Ontario near Barrie in the back yard, it was probably bought long lo g long long time ago for the garden, not sure where this stone is from, but can't be that far

3 minutes ago, Ozzya said:

Thanks!! If it is indeed that, it was a big big fellow 

And yeah in Ontario near Barrie in the back yard, it was probably bought long lo g long long time ago for the garden, not sure where this stone is from, but can't be that far

Oh, they could get pretty big, for sure! For example, the Ordovician species Endoceras proteiforme could grow a few metres long!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived