New Jersey Cretaceous fossil ID

frankh8147

Problem with finding more of these is that most folks wouldn't recognize it as anything. Hopefully this will cause someone to recognize one if it ever passes through their screen.

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Plax said:

Problem with finding more of these is that most folks wouldn't recognize it as anything. Hopefully this will cause someone to recognize one if it ever passes through their screen.

That's how I find mine! I'm friends with Tony (Njfossilhunter) so I saw his pictures of his lung fish several times through the years; if it weren't for that, I'm not so sure this would've made it to our fossil ID forum.

I wanted to give everyone a quick update on this. I went to the museum today and it was indeed confirmed as lungfish (most likely Ceratodus frazieri with crushing adaptation). This is the third overall fossil of lungfish found east of the Mississippi and second C. frazieri. Interestingly, both C. frazieri were found in the same area (found 20 years apart) so more to come on that.

I donated it to the museum today and will post updates in the Paleo Partners section once I receive the paperwork. Thanks again for helping with ID, this is an absolute dream!  -Frank

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I wanted to give everyone a quick update on this. I went to the museum today and it was indeed confirmed as lungfish (most likely Ceratodus frazieri with crushing adaptation). This is the third overall fossil of lungfish found east of the Mississippi and second C. frazieri. Interestingly, both C. frazieri were found in the same area (found 20 years apart) so more to come on that.

I donated it to the museum today and will post updates in the Paleo Partners section once I receive the paperwork. Thanks again for helping with ID, this is an absolute dream!  -Frank

That's amazing, Frank!!!  And it's great of you to donate such a fantastic find to the museum!!!  I hope that one day I'll also find something that a museum would be interested in having - it must be so cool to know that your find will be studied by paleontologists!!!

Well done! :yay-smiley-1:

Monica

20 hours ago, Monica said:

That's amazing, Frank!!!  And it's great of you to donate such a fantastic find to the museum!!!  I hope that one day I'll also find something that a museum would be interested in having - it must be so cool to know that your find will be studied by paleontologists!!!

Well done! :yay-smiley-1:

Monica

Thanks Monica! This is my second donation to the New Jersey State Museum and I was very happy to donate it. Keep your shovel in the ground and good things can happen :) 

Well done, Frank!  :fistbump:

Congratulations on the donation! :D 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 1.9.2017 at 10:50 PM, frankh8147 said:

Great move, Frank. You sure did do the right thing there. Maybe they'll make a cast of it for you?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Great move, Frank. You sure did do the right thing there. Maybe they'll make a cast of it for you?

Thank you! And yes, I should be getting my cast in around a week. I intend to make a nice display for it :)

On 8/29/2017 at 4:28 PM, Plax said:

Quite true.  I believe I have found this shape and will look through my unknowns soon as I'm home again.  The one I think I have though is quite worn and I do not recall it having the textured surface.

thank you Frank for posting this and for your donation to science.  Awesome.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Carl said:

Oh my GOD, what a find. Just getting back to this conversation. Can't wait to see this GEM! Congrats!

Haha, thanks Carl! This one definitely made my summer! 

10 hours ago, Carl said:

Oh my GOD, what a find. Just getting back to this conversation. Can't wait to see this GEM! Congrats!

I was wondering when you was going to find out about another lungfish plate being found. I know you were away .  maybe you can take another look at that one fragment found by that kid a little while back.   

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

15 hours ago, njfossilhunter said:

I was wondering when you was going to find out about another lungfish plate being found. I know you were away .  maybe you can take another look at that one fragment found by that kid a little while back.   

That's my exact plan!

On 9/21/2017 at 11:18 AM, Carl said:

That's my exact plan!

On 9/21/2017 at 0:38 PM, frankh8147 said:

Now THAT would be awesome!! Good luck :)

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

This is a VERY rare find for the East USA Cretaceous, even more rare than finding dino teeth. Of the years I have been collecting, I have a collection of maybe 3 or 4 teeth/bones that I know are from dinos, but zero from lungfish.

I would send pictures to your local museum, or even loan it to them for making 3d scans. Great find!:faint:

10 hours ago, TNCollector said:

This is a VERY rare find for the East USA Cretaceous, even more rare than finding dino teeth. Of the years I have been collecting, I have a collection of maybe 3 or 4 teeth/bones that I know are from dinos, but zero from lungfish.

I would send pictures to your local museum, or even loan it to them for making 3d scans. Great find!:faint:

Thanks!! :)

I actually donated it to them but they are making me a cast which I think is just as cool! I'm doing some work with the museum on the piece so I'll let everyone know the developments.  Looks like this is the second specimen of C. frazieri lungfish known from the late Cretaceous.