Diving for Megs

Doraaman

Had a great dive! So many fossils out there. Although, next time I will spend time digging to hopefully find megs that are less damaged. One 6"

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1267.PNG

• I found this Informative 2

You did great!  Are those from the NC ledges?

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Congratulations on a great haul! :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Wow! That's quite a haul. I'm assuming those can be cleaned up. 

Yep, the bottom two pics are me working on them. Takes some time, but they clean up nice 

26 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Congratulations on a great haul! :)

Regards,

13 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

Excellent haul,congrats:fistbump:

Thanks!!

32 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

You did great!  Are those from the NC ledges?

:dinothumb:

That is a mountain of megs! One dive! Wow... 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

WOW!!!   Amazing haul.  My daughter and I are in the process of getting certified so we can do this.  Just need to do our open water checkout dives.  Can't wait!  Did you go through a charter or on your own?

2 hours ago, anthracite31 said:

WOW!!!   Amazing haul.  My daughter and I are in the process of getting certified so we can do this.  Just need to do our open water checkout dives.  Can't wait!  Did you go through a charter or on your own?

This was a bit of a more advanced dive 100' plus. Chartered. You can do shore dives in Florida (30' and less) on your own. 

Diving the meg ledges is absolutely not for beginners. People die out there. Venice Florida is a great staring place. Captain Jamie on the Aristakat will put you on teeth for a reasonable price.  That's the first place I dove after getting certified. Highly recommend. Safe, fun, easy diving.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

3 hours ago, Doraaman said:

This was a bit of a more advanced dive 100' plus. Chartered. You can do shore dives in Florida (30' and less) on your own. 

Way past my ability or comfort!   Is that why there were so many of them to be found?

47 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

Diving the meg ledges is absolutely not for beginners. People die out there. Venice Florida is a great staring place. Captain Jamie on the Aristakat will put you on teeth for a reasonable price.  That's the first place I dove after getting certified. Highly recommend. Safe, fun, easy diving.

Thanks!   We definitely want to go with an experienced charter for our first outing and not looking to do anything too deep till we get skills.   Thanks for the referral.   I will look him up and see what we can get going.   Hoping to get it in this year, but most likely won't happen till spring.   Can I tell him who referred us?   You can PM if you want me to use your name.   Have a great night.

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, anthracite31 said:

Thanks!   We definitely want to go with an experienced charter for our first outing and not looking to do anything too deep till we get skills.   Thanks for the referral.   I will look him up and see what we can get going.   Hoping to get it in this year, but most likely won't happen till spring.   Can I tell him who referred us?   You can PM if you want me to use your name.   Have a great night.

I think it is great that you and your daughter are getting your open water scuba certification. Like those before me have said, diving at depth does add dangers. I recommend continuing your certification process and obtaining your advanced diver cert. This will involve deep dives too. Its not that difficult to obtain. Your dive instructors will also give advice on the types of dives you are interested in. Then, get some good, safe, quality dives in your log book. The more the better. Almost every dive shop offers dive trips to various locations from local dive spots to areas around the world. Then when you are ready, hire an experienced and well recommended charter for your trip. And do your homework in the meantime.   Diving is an amazing experience and will give you access to places that most will never see.  I've been diving since 1977 and still learning :)

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any certification questions or dive related questions. I just moved to the east coast, so I'm still studying the NC areas and just started the blackwater rivers this year.

DSAO,

Billy