Pyrite removal grrrrrrr

Crann

Prepped by hand outwards in (minor) until I had the centre resdy, thought a few little taps with a small cold chisel would pop the centre up, nope, just chipping away, my ST pen will just bounce of this for sure, any other methods ? Nice sized specimen and hoping to view it in all it's glory.

20170829_204556.jpg

I've had some varied results removing pyrite with my CP9361. It complains a lot but will eventually take it off. If the pyrite formed on the surface of the ammonite, it will usually come off to some degree. If it formed as an outgrowth of the specimen, it often has totally destroyed the specimen and is part of it. What I'm trying to get at is the pyrite part of the matrix or totally bonded with the specimen?

33 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I've had some varied results removing pyrite with my CP9361. It complains a lot but will eventually take it off. If the pyrite formed on the surface of the ammonite, it will usually come off to some degree. If it formed as an outgrowth of the specimen, it often has totally destroyed the specimen and is part of it. What I'm trying to get at is the pyrite part of the matrix or totally bonded with the specimen?

I'm thinking the latter... don't want to get too heavy on it and have it shatter.

16 minutes ago, Crann said:

I'm thinking the latter... don't want to get too heavy on it and have it shatter.

You're probably out of luck then. There's a good chance that even if it comes off, there's no detail below.

20 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You're probably out of luck then. There's a good chance that even if it comes off, there's no detail below.

Suppose nothing to lose, worth a shot.

9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It wont look any worse. :wacko: I hate preps like that.

I will try the other side, no bulk on it but hopefully not Pyritised.

Ive only worked on ammo's with pyrite twice.  Hated it both times.  I hope you have better luck than I?   

RB

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

:fingerscrossed:

Welll... started on other side then as I got closer to centre... pyrite ! Looks more friendly than the other side, will bash it another day...

20170830_202313.jpg

45 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

That's a shame. However with what you've achieved it looks pretty nice anyway. If it were mine I'd leave as is. Is this the one you wanted a stand to display on?

Hi, na it is this one...

20170827_105817.jpg

Hildoceras ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

16 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Now, that's a beauty.

Sure is, Wikipedia says maximum size 7.9" but this is coming in around 10", would have been a big fella.

15 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hildoceras ?

Coco

Pyrite Ammonite is Hildoceras yea.

48 minutes ago, Crann said:

Sure is, Wikipedia says maximum size 7.9" but this is coming in around 10", would have been a big fella.

Wikipedia is not always correct. I know of specimens reaching 20" and more. They loved the deep sea when they reached this size and are one of the longest living ammonite genuses.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

6 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Wikipedia is not always correct. I know of specimens reaching 20" and more. They loved the deep sea when they reached this size and are one of the longest living ammonite genuses.

Wish I could travel back in time to view the ancient world.

Just now, Crann said:

Wish I could travel back in time to view the ancient world.

Me too. Just have to settle for a lot of research reading instead.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Too bad about the pyrite... It seems a lot (all?) of these Yorkshire ammos have pyrite inside the shell, but is it common to have it on the outside as well? How well do these specimens hold up in storage/displays if you don't treat the pyrite (internal or external) somehow?

38 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Too bad about the pyrite... It seems a lot (all?) of these Yorkshire ammos have pyrite inside the shell, but is it common to have it on the outside as well? How well do these specimens hold up in storage/displays if you don't treat the pyrite (internal or external) somehow?

Not had any Yorkshire ammonites with pyrite myself. The Jurassic coast (Charmouth and Lyme Regis) on the other hand..... might have been lucky tho!

None with pyrite on the outside I assume you mean... I've got 2 Whitby ammos where the inside of the shell is filled with pyrite, or something pyrite-coloured, anyway. (none on the outside)

22 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

None with pyrite on the outside I assume you mean... I've got 2 Whitby ammos where the inside of the shell is filled with pyrite, or something pyrite-coloured, anyway. (none on the outside)

None in or out. I've been lucky I guess :D

Archived