Looking for Kem Kem foot/toe bones and claws - need your help!

Flx

Hi
For some time, I am working on a composite of a juvenile Spinosaurus foot. Currently, it is about 65% complete. 
Finding bones that are a good match in terms of size/geometry is quite tricky. :wacko:

More specifically, I am looking for the following Spinosaurus material that comes from the Kem Kem beds in Morocco:
- 3 phalanges with a length between 50mm and 70mm (2 inch to 2.75 inch)
- One foot claw with a length of about 70mm to 90mm (2.75 inch to 3.5 inch)

- The metatarsal at the backside of the foot (digit I), about 60mm long (2.4 inch)

- The reduced digit V, about 90mm long (3.5 inch)

In return, I can offer interesting dinosaur material from the Cretaceous and Jurrasic including teeth, metatarsals, vertebrae etc.

I know that this request is probably a long shot. However, I noticed that there are several more fossil enthusiasts who collect material from the Kem Kem. Maybe you can help me with that. ^_^

Nice project!

I hope it will be done soon :)

@LordTrilobite might be of good help to you.

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Wow, that will be cool! Be sure to pst a picture when your done! Sadly I can't help, would if I could though! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

56 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Wow, that will be cool! Be sure to pst a picture when your done! Sadly I can't help, would if I could though! 

Thank you.

I should get 2 more phalanges next week. I will post some pictures then. :)

I will be returning to the kem kem sometime this month will keep you posted. I don't at this moment have any of the material you are after i am afraid, the only spinosauride material I have is two ribs, two partial vertebrae, a partial neural spine and a very nice tooth :ighappy:

12 hours ago, Haravex said:

I will be returning to the kem kem sometime this month will keep you posted. I don't at this moment have any of the material you are after i am afraid, the only spinosauride material I have is two ribs, two partial vertebrae, a partial neural spine and a very nice tooth :ighappy:

Thank you very much!  :fistbump:

Sorry, I don't have any Kem Kem stuff I want to part with quite yet.

But you probably cant say if a toe is from Spinosaurus anyway. The neotype is a little dodgy, which is the only real source for Spinosaurus foot material.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

16 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Sorry, I don't have any Kem Kem stuff I want to part with quite yet.

But you probably cant say if a toe is from Spinosaurus anyway. The neotype is a little dodgy, which is the only real source for Spinosaurus foot material.

Well, I have the same problem. Some of the parts I use for the composite could also be from a different species (I do not have useful reference material from other dinosaurs such as Carcharodontosaurus, Sigimassasaurus or crocs). Online dealers seem to label all KemKem metatarsals and phalanges Spinosaurus anyway so their identification is not very helpful either. :wacko:

I use FSAC-KK 11888 (see below) as a reference and I try to match my Kem Kem bones as good as possible. If I find a better match for a certain bone I replace it to make the composite more accurate. This is not very scientific but I think my composite has a pretty nice display value. I will post pictures soon (still waiting for some bones to arrive).

Picture 41.png

A little update. :dinosmile:

Below please find a picture of my composite (as you can see some of the bones do not fit perfectly and are probably not from a Spino, I will replace these later).

I should get another phalanx and a toe claw soon. Currently, I am looking for:
- Phalanx about 40mm long
- Claw about 70mm long
- The small, reduced digit V (is there a name for that bone?)
- A better match for the slim metatarsal

Thank you for your support!

spinofoot_170917.jpg

That's cool! Hope you can get the remaining parts!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Next thing you know it's gonna be the whole skeleton! :P

1 hour ago, Flx said:

Thank you.

I found a seller of a spinosaurus tibia that fits my composite pretty well. The project just evolved from "foot" to "leg". :ighappy:

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Next thing you know it's gonna be the whole skeleton! :P

This is probably not going to happen since I would run out money first. Collecting dinosaurs seems to be a pretty expensive hobby... :D

Archived