Weird late Cretaceous shell

Hapchazzard

I've recently went for another dig at my local Maastrichtean marine locality, and the haul was pretty nice. I've managed to identify most of the things I've found... except for this thing, which I'm absolutely clueless as to what it could be. While it was still inside the rock, I thought it was some kind of small echinoid, but it's obviously not that. It doesn't look like a bivalve or gastropod either. It is approximately 2.5cm long.

Exact info

Rock lithology: limestone

Geologic formation: Čerevićki potok fm.(Sphaerulites solutus beds)

Environment: Moderately-agitated near-reef environment

m5eG7WX.jpg

u6Bch9p.jpg

UsUGnL2.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Picture for those that can't access imgur:

1.jpg

I can't see the pictures. :( 

Are they uploaded to a 3rd party hosting website?

Better to post them directly here to the Forum. 

Regards,

Posting pictures here for continuity, when temporal links expire.

1.thumb.jpg.da63039ca23d9cd78938cb2091b1b725.jpg

u6Bch9p.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

49 minutes ago, ynot said:

My guess is part of a crab or lobster claw.

Interesting idea. Never thought of it. The thing definitely has a vague claw-like shape.

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I can't see the pictures. :( 

Are they uploaded to a 3rd party hosting website?

Better to post them directly here to the Forum. 

Regards,

Yep, imgur. The images are too large to all be uploaded, so I've only uploaded one in the OP now. Tell me if you need any more from another angle :)

At first I thought beekite but the bumps are arranged in lines, so +1 for crustacean.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

So, the general consensus is a crustacean/decapod fragment. Thanks for the responses, people, they've been very helpful :) 

Definitely crab material. Although the specimen I've found is from Miocene sediments, the patterns are similar.

m5eG7WX.thumb.jpg.545e072751fbc1dd09d4cff7eb736bc7.jpg20150604_182239.thumb.jpg.d2b3208688b269696f7e83707e8384a5.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

46 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Definitely crab material. Although the specimen I've found is from Miocene sediments, the patterns are similar.

Thanks for the confirmation! Mine definitely looks similar to the one on your picture.

I'm pleasantly surprised that it's a crab fragment - really wasn't expecting it. The vast majority of the stuff from the formation are molluscs and the occasional coral, and the literature that I have on it doesn't mention crustaceans at all. As someone else mentioned, a pretty neat find :)