A Trip to... Where I work!

Kane

One of the benefits of working on campus is the convenience of access. The Earth Sci Dept. at Western University has some display areas in their corridors. Sadly, they are in an old building with not the greatest lighting, and the glare from the glass makes appreciation a bit difficult.

A decent sized mammoth from Ontario:

IMG_4086.JPG

A honkin' huge chunk of rock salt from the - surprise, surprise - Salina Formation (Silurian).

IMG_4087.JPG

A cast of a tyrannosaurid print.

IMG_4088.JPG

A display of dinosaur-related goodies:

IMG_4089.JPG

A display case used as a quiz area for earth sci students. Obviously the trilo is Pseudogygites latimarginatus, and possibly one of those abundant Keichosaurs below that.

IMG_4090.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A plump, irridescent ammo. This was part of the "quiz case," and I don't think I'll get the answer right. Thankfully, I'm not a student!

IMG_4091.JPG

It is a shame they keep these behind lock and key. :ninja:

IMG_4092.JPG

Arthrocantha punctobranchiata from Arkona.

IMG_4093.JPG

A lovely Asaphocrinus ornatus from the Rochester Shale, Lockport NY.

IMG_4094.JPG

Big brach!

IMG_4095.JPG

A fish in the "quiz case"

IMG_4096.JPG

An Ichthy... Or at least its head. There was too much glare coming in to take a decent picture of the whole thing. :( 

IMG_4098.JPG

Not a fossil, but pretty cool nonetheless: a piece of that meteorite that blasted through Chelyabinsk back in 2013.

And that's it! Plenty of displays of rocks and minerals, too, but the poor lighting does them no justice. 

IMG_4099.JPG

Nice little display!

The "big brach" (labeled Monotis subcircularis) is actually a pectinid bivalve (member of the scallop family).  Large layers of Triassic rock consist of nothing but trillions of Monotis valves.  I really think the "Mono" part of the name comes from "monotonous". 

The plump iridescent ammonite seems likely to be a Placenticeras, possibly either P. intercalare or P. meeki.  Both are common at certain localities in Alberta and maybe Saskatchewan.

Don C

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Nice little display!

The "big brach" (labeled Monotis subcircularis) is actually a pectinid bivalve (member of the scallop family).  Large layers of Triassic rock consist of nothing but trillions of Monotis valves.  I really think the "Mono" part of the name comes from "monotonous". 

The plump iridescent ammonite seems likely to be a Placenticeras, possibly either P. intercalare or P. meeki.  Both are common at certain localities in Alberta and maybe Saskatchewan.

Don C

Thanks, Don! No idea why I called it a brach, but for some reason upon seeing the name the word "monotonous" came readily to mind - and I don't even know a thing about that formation!

The one thing I didn't take pictures of was what I was seeing through the windowed doors of some of the faculty members' offices. Therein lie the best items!

Thanks for sharing Kane, some great items there! 

Btw I want the ichthy face. If you can, as someone who works on campus, could you sneak it out in the early hours in a swag bag for me!

1 minute ago, JohnBrewer said:

Thanks for sharing Kane, some great items there! 

Btw I want the ichthy face. If you can, as someone who works on campus, could you sneak it out in the early hours in a swag bag for me!

Ha! I smell another "Montana caper"! :P:D 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived