Forwarding Luggage

Fossil-Hound

I was thinking about returning to Penn Dixie sometime next spring after I get settled into my new home this winter but it's a 28 hour drive away from that fine establishment. After some quick research I have come up with a scheme to ship a lot of PD shale encrusted with coral, pyrite, brachiopods, bryozoans, and trilobites from New York to Utah. I'll fly out via round trip from SLC to Buffalo for about $460 and then rather than spend a lot of money on luggage I could just purchase some two large used suitcases at a Goodwill in New York for about $50 (may need to also purchase some duct tape) then use the following service to ship stuff back:

https://www.luggageforward.com/excess-baggage-fees/

So travel and shipping for myself and the shale would be about $460 + $50 + $150 = $660 That's not bad. To save even more on cost I could bring my tent with me in my suitcase, rent a car for a few days, and just camp out on the shores of Lake Erie or crash at @DevonianDigger place though I fear if I left any nice trilobites there for the night I may wake up to them missing. :trilo: :o :P Not a bad idea. I'll probably end up preparing some of the trilobites and selling them online to cover the cost of the trip. Unfortunately it takes a solid 6.5-8 hours to fly out to the location so flying out and back will spend up a whole day. Maybe leave on a Tuesday and fly back on Sunday. What are your thoughts? Is this a crazy idea? After some research I'm confident that I can do this. In fact you can even load up your suitcase with rocks in the USA as long as it's a domestic flight. International shipments of rocks is prohibited due to foreign agents (i.e. parasites).

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

It's crazy, but it's possible. Crazy adventures are often the best ones, so I say go for it if you want! If you decide to go, have a good trip and I wish luck to you and your fossil hunting endeavors!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

It's crazy, but it's possible. Crazy adventures are often the best ones, so I say go for it if you want! If you decide to go, have a good trip and I wish luck to you and your fossil hunting endeavors!

Yeah I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's a lot cheaper to use a service to transport luggage rather than go through an airline and I could earn some money back from selling some to cover the cost of the trip. I might have to do this and blog about it. :D

Have you considered shipping via Greyhound? Back in 2001, I moved my entire apartment from Ottawa to Vancouver for something like 300 or so bucks. I'm not sure if they still do that, and the downside is it may take a while (they throw a few boxes on the route at a time). You don't have to be on the bus at all - just pick it up at the Greyhound station at your destination point.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

Have you considered shipping via Greyhound? Back in 2001, I moved my entire apartment from Ottawa to Vancouver for something like 300 or so bucks. I'm not sure if they still do that, and the downside is it may take a while (they throw a few boxes on the route at a time). You don't have to be on the bus at all - just pick it up at the Greyhound station at your destination point.

Ok that is a really good idea. I'll look into that.

I can see now that if I had your money I'd throw mine away!   anyway i can get a no interest loan from you with no payments for 20 years?   ha!  Just kidding.  :)

RB

@RJB my new work is definitely paying a lot more than my old gig but with a new house and car I'm certainly watching my budget. Mark my words though, one of these days I'm going to buy one of your infamous crustaceans. :muahaha:

You could also put the word out on the Forum and see if anyone from the New York area is making a road trip to Utah around the same time frame and see if they could transport for free or the price of a fossil or 2. This is similar to what goes on at the Anatolian Shepherd Rescue that I belong too-  different people volunteer to transport the dog to their new home either they whole way or a portion.