Calyx - Interestingly intricate features

Rocky Stoner

Hi again fellow chippers.

I broke one of my cardinal rules and did not wash / scrub the chunks before busting them up. This shale is very near the surface so it is covered with a layer of silty mud, dirt and small roots which hides some of the fossils that are on the surface of the natural fissures.

I did not notice these calyx's until after I had busted the chunks up looking for my ever elusive complete trilobite.

The one has a very interesting pattern within each polygon that I have never seen here before. The other is very similar to the others I've found here.

Amazing, the geometry of nature .... just amazing.

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Wow, hat is some nice detail, nice find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Magnificent find. Beautiful specimen.

Of course some people would use that as proof of alien technology on Earth :D

Lovely intricate detail!! I really don't know how you get anything else accomplished knowing these wonders are just beneath the surface surrounding your home. :D 

Leah

7 minutes ago, jewelonly said:

Lovely intricate detail!! I really don't know how you get anything else accomplished knowing these wonders are just beneath the surface surrounding your home. :D 

Leah

Hi Leah.

It is difficult to keep my priorities in order at times.

But, I am now more eager to plow / work in the garden, keep the driveway dressed with fresh shale and build new flower beds for my sweetheart. ^_^

Its always exciting to find something new. Well, new to me.

Thanks for the kind response,

:)

On 8/30/2017 at 6:14 PM, jewelonly said:

.........  I really don't know how you get anything else accomplished knowing these wonders are just beneath the surface surrounding your home. :D 

Leah

Yep Leah, its tougher than you can imagine.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/77423-chores-postponed-trilobites-present/

I saw it quoted here somewhere, " Its amazing what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else." ... or something like that.

I've been bitten by a bug .... a very old bug.

Regards.

Looks like a couple of different Crinoid calyxes that you found there. Whatever deposit you found those in must be pretty rich to find those in the Mahantango. I'd say they are some species of Megistocrinus ( http://www.crinus.info/crinoids/data/meg.htm ) or Gennaeocrinus ( http://www.crinus.info/crinoids/data/genn2.htm ). Both those links are from @crinus web site which is a great resource.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the links Dave, very interesting.

Some spots here are super rich. I'll be exploring a newly discovered outcrop later today ... hopefully.

Kind regards,

:)

like you, I can't get over the intricacies of nature. I remember reading an aritcle on the mathematical principles at work beind the patterns, but it was at a time I was just beginning to look at fossils, and did not save the reference. I certainly should have,  It dealt with how crystals grow, how diatoms make their regular patterns, and  suggested various chemical elements were necessary for the various patterns. It makes me wonder whether the different kinds of crinoids processed food differently, or even filtered out different compounds. Curious minds are always on the lookout for more info. 

17 hours ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Yep Leah, its tougher than you can imagine.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/77423-chores-postponed-trilobites-present/

I saw it quoted here somewhere, " Its amazing what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else." ... or something like that.

I've been bitten by a bug .... a very old bug.

Regards.

@Rocky Stoner, isn't that just the absolute truth?! :)  Happy Hunting!