Friends I have some Trilobites from the group Coronocephalus jastrowi and a Scutellum that I have some doubts and would like the help of the experts.

I would like to know about the preparation of the fossil and its originality.

Tks.

Pics:

Trilo 1

Trilo.jpg

Trilo1.jpg

Trilo2.jpg

Trilo 2

The division of this trilobite occurred in the after death or the preparation that was not well done?

Trilo3.jpg

Trilo4.jpg

Trilo5.jpg

Trilo 3

Trilo9.jpg

948365797_o.jpg

Trilo 4

Trilo6.jpg

Trilo7.jpg

Trilo8.jpg

Beautiful fossil!

I wouldn't think this is a scutellum  given the pydigium. Any more into on location?

I think @piranha will pinpoint this easily.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

These all appear to be members of the genus Coronocephalus (Family Encrinuridae, Suborder Cheirurina, Order Phacopida), rather than a Scutellum (Family Styginae, Suborder Illaenina, Order Corynexochida), as the latter has a rounded pygidum, different pygidum ridges, and different shaped cephalon/glabella.

Edited by Douvilleiceras

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

I agree, all are Coronocephalus.  the pygidium separated from the rest of the body prior to fossilization., It is not an artifact of the prep.

Don

You have some nice examples of Coronocephalus from the middle Silurian of China.  Attached are examples that show the complete trilobite.  Although it is commonly labeled as C. jastrowi among the trilobite dealers, that name has never been formally assigned to any of the Coronocephalus species from China. The typical species that matches best is: Coronocephalus gaoluoensis.

IMG.jpg.359aeb5a71fc9862c35bc5ab38a6adce.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

You are right @piranha for your photos gave to identify better, what must always remain on the front after the fossilization is the rounded pygidum, demonstrated in the other fossils and with this making it difficult to identify that you kindly resolved. Thank you