I need help identifying a fossil tortoise shell!

LargeAfricanApe

Hi, I work at a fossil shop in Moab U.T., and for the life of me, I can't figure out what species or period it's from. I have reason to believe it's from China, but I can't confirm this.

This has been on my mind for a long time, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If it's from china, these are often faked but I don't see any red flags. Look it over for bubbles, this would mean it's a cast. Others may have more information.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yeah I've been worried about that. I recently learned that are paradoxides trilobites from Morroco were fakes. So disappointing, but I should have seen that coming.

Anosteira maomingensis from the Maoming Basin in Guangdong, China. Late Eocene.  https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233561816_Anosteira_maomingensis_Testudines_Carettochelyidae_from_the_Late_Eocene_of_Maoming_Guangdong_Southern_China_New_material_and_re-description

Large scale "restorations" are very common. The marginal scutes are missing:

Pu_carapace.jpg

Thomas

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I don't think it is.  At least the larger one seems to be ok - the smaller one could be a resin fake.

Take a red hot needle and touch the carapax. If it starts to melt and stinks, it is made out of resin. You could also put some paint stripper / acetone  on it. If the carapax gets soft, it is resin.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I agree that this looks suspicious, but I am leaning towards it being real.

You should check out Manchurochelys as well. It's the other commonly sold fossil turtle from China.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Google for Anosteira maomingensis and you will find out that this is the typical preservation for this species:

https://www.google.de/search?q=anosteira+maomingensis&newwindow=1&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkrJ21sYTWAhUFJFAKHb-vDwsQ_AUICygC&biw=1607&bih=766

I am 99.9% sure.

Manchurochelys looks different:59a98764bd190_Ch1614bManchurochelysspUntKreideSihedangzhenLiaoningCN.thumb.jpg.01eefd45fbacd460df86224e09fd8506.jpg

Thomas