Chores postponed ... Trilobites present !

Rocky Stoner

So I had a chore this evening. Check the wooded area behind the house for downed or dead trees to work up for the woodstove this coming winter.

Well, there was this oak that had blown over in the spring. The uprooted root ball was full of shale chunks. There I was .... nothing to dig or split with so I just pulled a few chunks out of the upended roots and broke the open by hand as they were quite fragile being exposed all summer.

SUPER rich in fossils throughout, especially the bryozoans !

The first pic looks almost like an enrolled specimen. I just happened to notice the other guy peeking out, like he was hiding. I'll dig him out soon as the glue dries holding him to the board. Should be a fine cephalon, species to be determined. (bet eldredgeops).

The firewood will have to wait a day ...... or more ^_^

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

I wonder if that enrolled one may be more complete...

Nice trilos!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I wonder if that enrolled one may be more complete...

Nice trilos!

It might be ! I'll dig into it a bit tomorrow. This one is very unstable, very crumbly. I would not expect it to stay together very well.

Thanks for the response !

Here is the one that was hiding out.

One eye is a little distorted. Might be from the straining when pushing that big oak over. ^_^

Thanks again,

:)

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

I'm cutting firewood this weekend....some how I'm guessing I won't find something like that!!! Very cool.

10 hours ago, Rocky Stoner said:

It might be ! I'll dig into it a bit tomorrow. This one is very unstable, very crumbly. I would not expect it to stay together very well.

Thanks for the response !

Keep glue in hand then! Might be a good idea to get some consolidant for those real crumbly ones. Hope it turns out complete!:fingerscrossed:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The detail on those lenses is superb. 

That settles it: I'm pitching a tent on your land. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Took a short trip to the "stump", then got rained out.

There are some very rich layers that I barely had time to expose.

Many, many brachiopods and bryozoans, but no sign of a trilobite .... yet.

Here's a few of the scrubbed / rinsed plates.

Cheers :)

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

32 minutes ago, Kane said:

That settles it: I'm pitching a tent on your land. :P 

Couple stipulations.

1. No guns over 30mm. (If you don't bring one, one can be provided)

2. You are limited to 500 specimens per day and must take home everything you find.

6 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Couple stipulations.

2. You are limited to 500 specimens per day and must take home everything you find.

LOL - best fossil park in the world!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

18 hours ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Couple stipulations.

The Fossil Forum fall fossil finding picnic?  Everyone bring a covered dish and digging implement. :ighappy: 

18 hours ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Couple stipulations.

With that said I'll be at your doorstep in about, oh, 2 hours.:P

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Fruitbat said:

30mm?  What are you getting ready for...a light armored vehicle or an Apatosaurus:D

-Joe

Apatosaurus ......... A few specimens indicate a mass of 32.7–72.6 t.

1. No guns over  30mm  105mm. :)

Thanks Joe.

LOL!  Well...let's see...a former Soviet main battle tank (T-72) came in at about 41.5t. and the 30mm GAU8/A gun on the A-10 could handle it quite easily, so the 105mm really shouldn't be necessary for a mere Apatosaurus!  Oh well...too much firepower is always better than not enough!  Of course...it might be a bit much to carry a GAU8/A around!  Carry on!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Archived