Fossil leg bone? found at Estate Sale

nivek1969

Hello. I am new here and have read about posting, though there is so much to read, I hope I am not up. This is one of a few Estate sale fossil finds, and unfortunately no info whatsoever came with them. I am assuming it is a piece of a humerus, radius or ulna. It has a strange patina, and seems to be glazed with something, lacquer or another hard resin, as a (rather unfortunate) means to preserve it better? I am not sure if this is from a dinosaur, but looking online it sort of resembles some leg bones of a sauropod, but a juvenile. I could be completely wrong and this is actually part of a cave bear or other mammal bone. Any help appreciated. I have another fossil bone that was with it I can post as well, though it's much smaller and darker in color, black almost. This piece is heavy! It weighs 6.9 oz. 

I took  couple of macro photos since there is something interesting going on with the surface. 

Thanks,

KP

fossil leg bone 1.jpg

fossil leg bone 2.jpg

fossil leg bone 3.jpg

fossil leg bone 4.jpg

Edited by nivek1969

Not sure what it could be, it's a fossil bone though, maybe some bite marks on the first picture, need a closer pic to be sure.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Your bone looks very much like a Angular bone from a Mosasaur.  The groove on the underside makes me think that's what it is.  

• I found this Informative 3

A Mosasaur would make sense because many have been found in Texas. But like I said, I have no idea where this bone was found. I will post more detail photos. I have a smaller fossil bone that was in the same lot that I need to photograph as well. Thanks for your help so far!

It has been coated with a clear wood preservative.  Not knowing the location where it was found makes it scientifically worthless, but still a nice specimen for a private collection.  This would have been a large animal.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, and yes, I thought so. I paid very little for a box of rocks and fossils at that particular sale, and will keep it of course. I was second in line early in the morning at this Estate sale because I saw the photos and knew there were fossils and minerals there. The first guy in line made a beeline for the table with the fossils, snatched up three pristine trilobites that were about 3-4" long! and for about $20 each! (ughhh, I was crushed, incredible specimens!)  I'll take photos of the other fossil bone soon. It doesn't have the coating on it but has pieces held together in a matrix. It's another puzzle. 

Here is the smaller bone I bought at the same sale. It's odd now that I have looked at it closely. Is it even a bone? It's smooth, seems to have been filled in with hardened sediment at some point. Again, no location on where this was found, just bought at the sale for really cheap because it looked interesting. 

small bone 1.jpg

small bone 2.jpg

small bone 3.jpg

small bone 5.jpg