Round fossil

Maxi

Ciao!

My guess is that this is a coral of some sort - do you know how old the rocks in the quarry are?

(By the way - where in Veneto is this quarry?  My parents are from Treviso - my mom is from Castelfranco and my dad is from Vittorio Veneto)

Monica

7 minutes ago, Monica said:

Ciao!

My guess is that this is a coral of some sort - do you know how old the rocks in the quarry are?

(By the way - where in Veneto is this quarry?  My parents are from Treviso - my mom is from Castelfranco and my dad is from Vittorio Veneto)

Monica

Ciao:)

Sadly i can' t tell you how old are rocks in the quarry.The quarry is in Cornedo Vicentino (Vicenza)

The other find was Eocene right? So this would make sense. I suggest you use a toothbrush to remove the dirt and odds are you will find the little corallites in the holes.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

The other find was Eocene right? So this would make sense. I suggest you use a toothbrush to remove the dirt and odds are you will find the little corallites in the holes.

I can' t becuase is already clean.

The dirt is like cement impossible to remove

5 minutes ago, Maxi said:

I can' t becuase is already clean.

The dirt is like cement impossible to remove

Oh, it's sandstone then. still nice piece of coral.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice find. It is a scleractinian coral like Siderastrea, as it was stated before. The geological age is Eocene. You have the opportunity to find fossil crustaceans, mollusks, bivalves, echinoids, etc. in the vulcano-dendritic strata. Are you hunting in the Grolla quarry (Grola (Cornedo Vicentino, Vicenza, Italia settentrionale))?

useful document: link

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 month later...

Stylocoenia.

Typical spherical Stylocoenia colony. Stylocoenia-ball as I call it familiarly.

The bases of the columns in the walls are observed. Element not present in Siderastrea.
Abundant in tertiary ( Eocene and Oligocene ) coral strata from Europe ( Spain, Italy, France, Germany, etc. ).

http://www.corallosphere.org/taxon/1451

• I found this Informative 2