( Inclusion Inside Baltic Amber ) Very Rare Neuroptera Dustywing Coniopterygidae Archiconiocompsa prisca Enderlein

vermiculosis

Dear Friends,

This time i'd like to show something very rare ( for Baltic Amber )

Neuroptera  ( Dustywing )  Coniopterygidae Archiconiocompsa prisca (Enderlein)
ID found with help of scientists from Germany

Size of the body - 2.5mm,
max - 5 mm

First Dustywing in my career, they are very very rare, especially in condition like this buddy from the pictures.

Enjoy !

Artur

2920 Perhaps Neuroptera Dustywing Coniopterygidae Archiconiocompsa prisca Enderlein 1a.jpg

2920 Perhaps Neuroptera Dustywing Coniopterygidae Archiconiocompsa prisca Enderlein 1b.jpg

Exquisite photos!!  :o:) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The level of preservation is magnificent! Especially on such a rare specimen!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

:o :wub: :wub: :drool: :drool: :envy:

These specimens and photos are truly exceptional!

I should mention that I work in a university Entomology department (but I am a molecular biologist not a taxonomist) and obviously I have an affection for fossils, so these photos ring all the right bells for me.

Don C

Wonderful images. Will you post what equipment/technique was utilized to capture them?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Incredible!  I wasn't really interested in searching amber for insect inclusions before.  After seeing your pictures in this post and your other post I think I want to start searching amber.  Do you collect yourself your Baltic amber or do you purchase it?  How do you prepare the amber surface so you can see inside and see the inclusions?  I have several digital microscopes with built in stacking software that I would like to try taking pictures with.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Wow,just wow beautiful!!

Yvie

On 01/09/2017 at 0:55 PM, vermiculosis said:

Neuroptera  ( Dustywing )  Coniopterygidae Archiconiocompsa prisca (Enderlein)

I thought it was,as if...

On 2.09.2017 at 3:15 AM, MarcoSr said:

Incredible!  I wasn't really interested in searching amber for insect inclusions before.  After seeing your pictures in this post and your other post I think I want to start searching amber.  Do you collect yourself your Baltic amber or do you purchase it?  How do you prepare the amber surface so you can see inside and see the inclusions?  I have several digital microscopes with built in stacking software that I would like to try taking pictures with.

Marco Sr.

Thank you MarcoSr and all other for very nice comments !

I am amber hunter/fisher sometimes but it is long way from my city ( to the Baltic Sea Shore ) so i have friendly amber hunters and i got material from them.

Amber preparation is easy, of course i have grinder and i use only 2 discs - one with sandpaper 320 gradation and second disc is for polishing with special paste in block ( used also in car-business )

If we talk about amber observation - binocular microscope is a must if you are collector.
For pictures i have - The microscope body is the latest version of the Nikon SMZ800 with a micro screw, and the most important part of the lens is the SMZ1500 PLAN APO, after that i have another half of PLAN APO for bigger objects. 

At my begins i had only loupe's and i was polish ambers by hands only - it is all matter of determination.
Now i have gear from my dreams if we talk about making pictures of inclusions.

• I found this Informative 2

Dear Friends i found my old email to one of friends from Italy.
I am sorry for my english, i know its terrible but i hope it gonna be understable - its about baltic ambers hand polishing in
spartan circumstances :

Dear Friend:

this is how you can do this by hand from raw amber. when amber is raw got oxidised skin and it depends how big is it but you can start with sandpaper ( water-paper is the best ) 400-600 gradation - also it depends how big is that skin and if you want made specific shape. 
Put some old shirt at your table, get some box with water, put paper on shirt, add a bit water and start grinding. If you have inclusion inside be careful and check amber under light how it is going. If ambers is not flat and got some depressions - you can put under shirt a pen, or something and than you can grind those areas a bit better.
Next paper is 1000gradation and another one is 1500. It take some time but do this again - water - grinding-water - grinding and checking under light and by your hands. You can see that amber going look better and better.
The final paper for me was 2500gradation - final grinding all the rest of scars.

And: another time - get some old shirt ( any cotton what you got ) clean without sand or something.

Put some water to this shirt, a bit of paste and start polishing. After polishing get some clean and not wet shirt ( very soft ) and start final polishing in hand without anything.
After all you can have mirror-effect and perfect amber if you do this all with precision and patience.

I begin like this so i know it very well already:)

P9040001.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/09/2017 at 5:14 PM, vermiculosis said:

Are you Entomologist if i can ask my friend ?

No just fasinated in natural history,well history generally.We went to Croatia recently but didn't find any Amber.Just got your message.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only say WOW as well. Amazing photos

I luckily, years ago, purchased some amber necklaces from a shopping channel that had just started to sell them. I did not think they knew how many insects etc were in the drilled irregular sized 'beads' that were on the necklaces, of course I checked each and every one under my microscope and found over a dozen that had inclusions including flies and spiders. Have not had any id'd yet.

Never ask a starfish for directions