Constantly forgetting to order display tools to securely display my fossils which are right now at risk of being damaged from grinding the glass shelves in my display, I decided to print a stand for my last model before I took my 3D printer home (and not use it until I get a microSD reader so I could transfer files to the printer). I didn't really pay too much attention to exact dimensions, but it actually printed quite fine and did fit one of my boxed fossils I wanted to display but couldn't before. The stand is blue because that's the only color of filament I own :wacko:

wuuqqyA.jpg

U5ssHu7.jpg

QLLRH4b.jpg

6AOfEJ3.jpg

When I get to buy a microSD reader sometime later, I'll probably print more of these stands, and maybe even print a custom stand for all of my fossils (except for riker mounts which simply can't be printed)

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Good idea, if you don't mind me asking, is the filament expensive? I want to know if it's actually cheaper than buying a stand (my local library has three D printers available for use I believe but not the plastic)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This filament costed me 25 bucks, but the length is ridiculously long, i think its possible to print a couple hundred models if sliced correctly with one roll.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

You can print fossils too!. Thru the University of Texas at Austin you can get complete digital files or "Lucy" Austalopitheus afaransis. 

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 7:23 PM, erose said:

You can print fossils too!. Thru the University of Texas at Austin you can get complete digital files or "Lucy" Austalopitheus afaransis. 

Thanks for that! I have been trying for a while to find a place for digital 3D files that I can print!

4 minutes ago, TNCollector said:

Thanks for that! I have been trying for a while to find a place for digital 3D files that I can print!

http://morphosource.org/

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

:drool: I am really excited now...I am going to go print something.

Also, 3D filament is cheap, I spend $20 on a spool that will usually be enough to print 100 to 200 stands if I could make a guess.

1 hour ago, TNCollector said:

:drool: I am really excited now...I am going to go print something.

Also, 3D filament is cheap, I spend $20 on a spool that will usually be enough to print 100 to 200 stands if I could make a guess.

Have fun:)

I'm probably going to try my hand at printing some stands, I doubt I have the patients for it though. I have a particular interest in Paleoanthropology which is what lead me to the website, someday I'll try to print a skull if a gain access to a big printer.

Happy hunting,

Mason