Is this some sort of coprolite or a pseudofossil?

A. Europaeus

Greetings!

This washed up on the shores of Myrtle Beach in SC a few years ago, and I picked it up and brought it home due to its odd shape and the possibility that it may be a fossil. It kind of looks like coprolite, but then again, it may just be a pseudofossil (or maybe a different type of fossil). Anyone have an idea of what it may be?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pictures are blurry but from what I can tell, looks like weathered limestone. To test this drop some vinegar on it or a piece of it and see if it fizzes.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

11 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Pictures are blurry but from what I can tell, looks like weathered limestone. To test this drop some vinegar on it or a piece of it and see if it fizzes.

I poured a bit of white vinegar on it and it started fizzing, so I guess it's likestone.

Thanks! :) 

I agree with @WhodamanHD. However, I wanted to mention that some coprolites do fizz when you put them in vinegar. I have used this process to dissolve bits of coprolite to reveal their inclusions. That said, your does not look like a coprolite from what I can see. There are tests of sorts that can be used to determine whether or not you have fossil poo. First is location. Are body fossils found in the area? Next is shape. Does it look like poop? I look for things like sphincter marks (pinched ends or furrow), spiral or scroll shapes and intestinal/compaction folds. Shape is not always the best indicator because weathering and loose stools may lead to irregularly shaped coprolites. Thirdly, I look for inclusions. Do you see bits of bone, scales or other undigested prey items? There is also a little field test I use, but it is dependent on the fossilization process. Most coprolites that survive the fossilization process from carnivores. They are comprised of calcium phosphate, the same mineral found in bone. This can be very porous and will stick if you touch it to your tongue. If you wet your fingers they will also feel sticky to the touch, but that is not nearly as much fun. :P Most coprolites that I have seen from the southeast coast are made up of apatite, a form of calcium phosphate that is not porous. Lastly, I check under the microscope. Coprolites are very homogeneous (excluding prey inclusions). If your specimen appears granular under magnification it is not fossil poo. I hope this helps!