Is this fossil real? If so, what is it?

Flyingpiglet

Hi there. I'm new to this forum and created an account just to ask about this fossil I found. It's really cool and was wondering if it's the real thing or fake. If anyone could identify this for me I'd very much appreciate it

ammonite.jpg

It is an ammonite. If you found it, why would you think it fake? Any way these are rarely faked, it is real.

Welcome to the forum by the way! Hope you stick around, we have a few from the Netherlands here and there are a few sites in the country for finding fossils.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hi Flyingpiglet,

I edited your post to include the photos.

Please avoid using links to outside photo sharing sites, as these are not permanent and so the photos tend to quickly be lost.  The Fossil Forum promotes educational aspects of fossil collecting, but threads become useless when links to the photos die.

Don C

14 hours ago, Flyingpiglet said:

I found it among gravel, and thanks for the clarification everyone

We need a location like nearby city, county/province or geologic formation. 

There are "gravel bars" all over the world, and this tells us nothing useful in identifying Your ammonites.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I don't know where the gravel came from. The gravel I found it in was delivered by a company to my sisters backyard. She lives near Assendelft in the Netherlands, I reckon the gravel came from somewhere in that region.

Archived