Savannah River - ID Help - Whale tooth?

netosols

Hi! I found this in a beach in the Savannah River. Its 3.5 inches long and 1.5 inches thick on the middle.

It has a weird curveness that you can appreciate better on the Side 4 pictures. It made me think of where the other jaw tooth fits?!

I looks like a sperm whale tooth but I'm not sure.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!! :D

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Do see some possible enamel, if it is a tooth, then maybe sperm whale

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

It's a type of sperm whale. I had one just like it that I recently sold. 

19 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

Do see some possible enamel, if it is a tooth, then maybe sperm whale

18 hours ago, Gizmo said:

15 hours ago, JarrodB said:

It's a type of sperm whale. I had one just like it that I recently sold. 

Thank you guys!!!

:D

15 hours ago, RJB said:

It really does look like a sperm whale tooth? 

RB

DSCN0609.JPG

15 hours ago, old bones said:

Nice find! :)

Yup, sperm whale - remember that if it does not have any enamel, it is very likely a sperm whale still since 1) the crown is completely worn away and thus there would be no more enamel left and 2) many sperm whales have completely lost enamel as a tissue.

And also judging by the shape, I think it's also might be a Scaldicetus unless I've forgotten about a few stem-sperm whales from the east coast...

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Well... "Scaldicetus" isn't real. it's a tooth type-based grade of critters with similar inflated, enamel-capped teeth. Zygophyseter, Acrophyseter, Albicetus, Livyatan, and Brygmophyseter are all "Scaldicetus".

6 hours ago, Boesse said:

Yup, sperm whale - remember that if it does not have any enamel, it is very likely a sperm whale still since 1) the crown is completely worn away and thus there would be no more enamel left and 2) many sperm whales have completely lost enamel as a tissue.

Bobby, 

I am trying to correctly interpret.

Should I believe that the whale teeth in this thread from Netosols and RJB are both from sperm whales and the crown containing enamel has worn away either pre or post mortem on Netosols ; and other sperm whales never develop enamel at all.

Sorry for my confusion.   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@netosols's tooth does not have a crown, so it's not possible to tell if enamel was present or not. @RJB's tooth has an enamel crown. Both are sperm whales, and both have inflated roots like "Scaldicetus".