What's this reddish-purplish coloration?

joshuajbelanger

In one very particular site of mine on the peace river, I noticed that some of the fossils have this coloration. Here is a pretty good example on a mammoth tooth I've found.  It seems that the fossils vary, but every now and again I get this mineral on the fossils.  What is this?  What causes it? I'm sure it's probably pretty common and I really should know this, as I'm studying geology at the University of Florida.  But, hey, you guys have a collective fossil and mineral knowledge of an ancient god.  Put this mystery to bed for me please.

IMG_4330.JPG

I would guess ochre (although I can be sure as a number of oxides look kind of like this), here's a picture of the purple color it creates running down a mountainside, it's a type of iron oxide. Probably seeped in with groundwater, or you can fantasize that it was painted on by human:P

IMG_2975.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I am starting to believe that weathered sheet silicates might prove a good habitat for iron-fixating bacteria .

get out your Munsell,please.

Multiply reworked paleosols do have  a tendency toward red colouration

Or someone overdid "painting the town red".

Hope your study proceeds as planned,Josh

Maybe it contains Potassium permanganate which was dissolved in water and gave that color.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This color is a residue of a red alga which grows in Florida streams.  It is most abundant in spring-fed streams like the Santa Fe River.  It grows on rocks as well as bones.  I usually remove it from fossils during preparation.  In my experience it is uncommon in the Peace River.

scraperHendrixPairDorsal.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Not every collector knows about this algal growth, so wow your friends at the next Tampa show.  If you've dived the Santa Fe, you've seen lots of these algae. They appear like a burgundy-color splotch and spreads on exposed surfaces.  The growth turns magenta when dry, and the residue seems quite adherent.

I just made these images.  It's easy to see which tool came from a spring-fed stream.

scrapers_adzlikeA.JPG

scrapers_adzlikeB.JPG

What seest thou else

It's interesting, I've only ever seen this coloration in a very specific spot on the peace river.  Wonder why that is?  Is there any danger to this algae?  I actually like the color it gives to some of these fossils, especially after a butvar coating.

It's a very turnulent spot as well.  Lots of rapids, I'm reading that it prefers still water.  The plot thickens. Hey, maybe there's a thesis in here some where lol!!!

mobiyfcragofis.jpg

Stoyneva et al(2005)

One of the problems concerning knowledge in combined occurrence of Hildenbrandia and Heribaudiella is the questionable taxonomy of some of their species according to their considerable morphological variability (WEHR & STEIN 1985, SHEATH et al. 1993, STOYNEVA et al. 2002).  Also different and controversially discussed are the ecological requirements of Hildenbrandia and Heribaudiella (WEHR & STEIN 1985, SHEATH 2003, WEHR 2003), which could be one of the possible explanations of the few data on their combined occurrence. While Hildenbrandia rivularis is mainly known from well-aerated alkaline clear water habitats (see literature in STOYNEVA et al. 2002), according to WEHR & STEIN (1985) and WEHR (2003) Heribaudiella fluviatilis was found in much more broad range of ecological conditions.

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

Stoyneva et al(2005)

One of the problems concerning knowledge in combined occurrence of Hildenbrandia and Heribaudiella is the questionable taxonomy of some of their species according to their considerable morphological variability (WEHR & STEIN 1985, SHEATH et al. 1993, STOYNEVA et al. 2002).  Also different and controversially discussed are the ecological requirements of Hildenbrandia and Heribaudiella (WEHR & STEIN 1985, SHEATH 2003, WEHR 2003), which could be one of the possible explanations of the few data on their combined occurrence. While Hildenbrandia rivularis is mainly known from well-aerated alkaline clear water habitats (see literature in STOYNEVA et al. 2002), according to WEHR & STEIN (1985) and WEHR (2003) Heribaudiella fluviatilis was found in much more broad range of ecological conditions.

Thank you, Doushantuo.  Lest there be any confusion, Heribaudiella fluviatilis doesn't range into the Southeast USA.  It is a brown alga, and not a candidate to be the crimson/magenta alga under discussion.  The nugget you must have been offering (highlighted in the quote) is the comment on the habitat of Hildenbrandia.  This comment fits well the relatively-swift water of the Santa Fe River (and, it seems, some riffles in the Peace River).  The earlier suggestion that this alga "prefers still water" is probably baseless.

What seest thou else

Archived