Hungry Hollow, September 2nd, 2017

Monica

Darrell is a class act and a great guy to meet in the field. I have met him a few times in the south pit and he's always a good source of info and an all around friendly guy!  

And he beat me to all the ID's and nailed them all too!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 9/4/2017 at 7:29 PM, Malcolmt said:

I also met you quite a number of years ago there. You where up at the top level of the North pit excavating a ledge that you were finding stuff in

I remember. I believe you were collecting the High Banks with Kevin Kidd and Dave Hayward. I think Dave D’Andrea with there as well but I'm not positive. 

On 9/5/2017 at 11:21 AM, Shamalama said:

Darrell is a class act and a great guy to meet in the field. I have met him a few times in the south pit and he's always a good source of info and an all around friendly guy!  

And he beat me to all the ID's and nailed them all too!

Thanks, Dave. I've enjoyed our conversations.

Yes it was Kevin myself and Shamalama. I do not believe big Dave was with us that weekend.

Malcolm

I must admit that I'm a little jealous over the Devonalosia. I hadn't seen one until Shamalama found one several years ago. Since then it's been on my want list. A couple of years ago, I had a nice one on a small piece of hash matrix and was happy to have finally found one. Unfortunately, despite having it in my hand the whole time, at some point during my time at HH, that one particular brach decided to pop off the matrix. When I looked at my piece during a regular check (to make sure what I wanted wasn't facing out and getting potentially damaged) I noticed it missing, likely said a few choice words, then fired the matrix towards the centre of the pit. I haven't found a second example since.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

7 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

I must admit that I'm a little jealous over the Devonalosia. I hadn't seen one until Shamalama found one several years ago. Since then it's been on my want list. A couple of years ago, I had a nice one on a small piece of hash matrix and was happy to have finally found one. Unfortunately, despite having it in my hand the whole time, at some point during my time at HH, that one particular brach decided to pop off the matrix. When I looked at my piece during a regular check (to make sure what I wanted wasn't facing out and getting potentially damaged) I noticed it missing, likely said a few choice words, then fired the matrix towards the centre of the pit. I haven't found a second example since.

There are many times while I'm out hunting that things just don't go my way (e.g., breaking a fossil while trying to trim off some excess matrix using my hammer) - if I'm alone I also say a few choice words, but when Viola is there I have to hold my tongue (but in my mind I'm definitely uttering something very inappropriate for a 6-year-old's ears!).  

I'm pretty happy with the Devonalosia wrightorum, too - it's the only spiny brachiopod I've found so far, and even though it's incomplete, it's still one of my favourites.  I found it on the steep, gravelly hill right where you enter the south pit, so when you're there the next time perhaps there will be another lurking in that area, waiting to be found by you... :fingerscrossed:

(I chuckled when I read about you throwing the matrix towards the centre of the pit - that is something my husband would absolutely do - perhaps it's a guy thing? :))

10 hours ago, Monica said:

I'm pretty happy with the Devonalosia wrightorum, too - it's the only spiny brachiopod I've found so far, and even though it's incomplete, it's still one of my favourites.  I found it on the steep, gravelly hill right where you enter the south pit, so when you're there the next time perhaps there will be another lurking in that area, waiting to be found by you... :fingerscrossed:

That is where I find them too. They come out of the Arkona formation and are part of the "hardgrounds" (the thin shelly accumulations) that formed in the, formerly, muddy substrate. I mostly find them on the thin outer edges of those "hardgrounds" because I think the spines were used to anchor in the mud as opposed to used for defense.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived