Pcs/Lee Creek Fall Season Closed

obsessed1

By way of an email from the Friends of the Museum I have just been notified the there will be no fall season. :faint:

"The 2009 fall fossil hunting season has been canceled. We are preparing to start running a fleet of haul trucks throughout and in the area of the fossil hunting ramp. Plans are to move over 5 million cubic yards of material with these trucks With the increased amount of truck traffic all the area and to include the area setup for fossil hunting will be closed until further notice."

I guess all we can do now is wait for spring with our fingers crossed!

Aw snarge! :(

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

wait, hold on a sec, there...

over five million cubic yards of matrix goin' on out of there, did you say?

<stroking imaginary goatee with thumb and other fingers except the pinky>

um, ok, let's all say it at once -

FOLLOW THOSE TRUCKS!!!

attention phosphate mine owners, operators, and barristers (criminey! i meant honorable JDs!) - any references above to anything which, however humourous [i was british in a previous life {not}], could be misconstrued by evil-mine-ded /get it?\ people to mean that anyone should interfere with or otherwise hinder mining operations anywhere on the planet or an alternative dimension, is patently and obviously intended otherwise, towit, and furthermore...um, furthermore...snarge...i hate when i'm trying to cover my butt and forget what i was gonna say...

Oh no :( Well like Tracer said the truck have to go somewhere :D bring them up here :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

They're doing it the hard way! Just turn us loose in the mine, and we'll show then how to move dirt!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This Fall season has been cancelled, because of increased truck activity. It sounds like this could effect more than a

single season. I guess now that they got the new BIG lease (all the signatures), they don't need fossil hunters in the way

any longer. :o Sorry for the double post - I just noticed this was already on the board. Does the Forum have a "delete post" function?

-greel

<We'll just merge them :) >

You know, if you were local and had a place to dump it, a dump truck of the material is probably fairly inexpensive. A truck of that size locally delivers from around $100 plus material cost.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Hey Greel,

How are things over your way? It's been EXTREMELY hot here - too hot to go outside.

I'm sure sorry to hear that the fall season has been cancelled. Since our group didn't get in this spring and were told we'd be rescheduled for this fall, I was sure looking forward to getting together will all the folks I met in April and, hopefully, find some neat fossils. I guess I'll just have to come to SC and join the E Coast Fossil Club on one or more of y'all's hunts. :D

Hope all is well there,

Grandpa

aka Tom

Dang it! I was hoping to get in this fall... :(

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

You know, if you were local and had a place to dump it, a dump truck of the material is probably fairly inexpensive. A truck of that size locally delivers from around $100 plus material cost.

Brent Ashcraft

Hmmm. Someone should call and find out how much a dumptruck load would be.

Group buy, anyone? :P

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

I'm in... Will they send it up to philly?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

We just got the notice that Lee Creek will not have a fall collecting season this year. They will be hauling out a lot and the traffic will be too heavy with trucks and safety is important to keep it open to collecting after all. Actually I hate that BUT it is good to know that there business will be picking up. We could have lost more than one season of collecting fossils there if they had to close down. I think we can live with not collecting this fall and will look forward to the spring season with anticipation.

<EDIT: MERGED>

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Seriously, someone should know where it's headed. {rex} If it's worth picking through let's find out.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I received word last night that the fall season at Aurora, NC has been cancelled. According to Curtis Ormond, they are preparing to start running a fleet of truck to move over 5 million cubic yards of material. They will be using the using the road and area now used for fossil hunting, so it will be closed until further notice. They will keep us posted in case there is a change in the situation, and I will do my best to keep the Forum informed.

Anyone in need of a very slightly used LC guide as a hunting partner?? :unsure:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I received word last night that the fall season at Aurora, NC has been cancelled. According to Curtis Ormond, they are preparing to start running a fleet of truck to move over 5 million cubic yards of material. They will be using the using the road and area now used for fossil hunting, so it will be closed until further notice. They will keep us posted in case there is a change in the situation, and I will do my best to keep the Forum informed.

Yeah OB1 posted it too :(

I need one too:D Bring a truck of that dirt with you to MD :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Yeah OB1 posted it too :(

I need one too:D Bring a truck of that dirt with you to MD :D

YES!!!! All i have left is very little common teeth I need some new stuf lol

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

OK,, I am sorry to double post - I looked and did not see his post before :( So the cost of admission to hunt is a 5 gallon bucket of reject?? LOL

:o BJ, where does this leave you?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Greel,

How are things over your way? It's been EXTREMELY hot here - too hot to go outside.

I'm sure sorry to hear that the fall season has been cancelled. Since our group didn't get in this spring and were told we'd be rescheduled for this fall, I was sure looking forward to getting together will all the folks I met in April and, hopefully, find some neat fossils. I guess I'll just have to come to SC and join the E Coast Fossil Club on one or more of y'all's hunts. :D

Hope all is well there,

Grandpa

aka Tom

Tom,

Things are good here. Come on back when you feel like doing a little shovel work in the creek.

-greel

Bummer, we were looking forward to the fall season. Now I'm wondering, how will this affect the museum?