Preserving fragile shells

thelivingdead531

Thanks @Harry Pristis. The shells in the top half of the photo aren't treated with paraloid, the shells below the chopstick have been, and they turn out Matte. It does actually have an effect on them. I am curious if there is a consolidant that comes out more 'glossy' than matte.

1 hour ago, LeNico said:

I am curious if there is a consolidant that comes out more 'glossy' than matte.

Super glue works for Me.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks @ynot. There are a couple of folks earlier in this thread, and other threads, who have warned specifically against using super glue which is why I got the paraloid.

6 hours ago, LeNico said:

Thanks @ynot. There are a couple of folks earlier in this thread, and other threads, who have warned specifically against using super glue which is why I got the paraloid.

Depends on what you have planned for the fossils.  Are they for deposition into a research collection? Decorative?  Do you want them to have the same luster as they were before you applied stabilizer / consolidant?  PVA gets more glossy with additional applications.  Paleobond PB4417 is very thin / dilute but leaves a glossy finish (as does most viscosities of cyanoacrylate)

7 hours ago, LeNico said:

Test it on one and see if You like the results.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hey @ynot, it seemed the concern was that it could yellow over time, so I'd rather not take that chance. Thanks tho.

9 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Depends on what you have planned for the fossils.  Are they for deposition into a research collection? Decorative?  Do you want them to have the same luster as they were before you applied stabilizer / consolidant?  PVA gets more glossy with additional applications.  Paleobond PB4417 is very thin / dilute but leaves a glossy finish (as does most viscosities of cyanoacrylate)

Hey @Peat Burns, they're for decorative use. I'd love them to have the same luster as before I applied the Paraloid. It was my understanding that PVA and Paraloid are the same, is that true? Should I add more Paraloid? It seems to generally dry as Matte. I've not heard of Paleobond. My primary aim here is to stabilize these shells so they don't crack/break easily as I use them to create other things. They're quite fragile, so I'm looking to strengthen them.

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, LeNico said:

Hey @ynot, it seemed the concern was that it could yellow over time, so I'd rather not take that chance. Thanks tho.

Hey @Peat Burns, they're for decorative use. I'd love them to have the same luster as before I applied the Paraloid. It was my understanding that PVA and Paraloid are the same, is that true? Should I add more Paraloid? It seems to generally dry as Matte. I've not heard of Paleobond. My primary aim here is to stabilize these shells so they don't crack/break easily as I use them to create other things. They're quite fragile, so I'm looking to strengthen them.

Thanks!

Hi @LeNico.  If these are for decorative use, I think you are fine with low viscosity cyanoacrylate.  

I have never used paraloid, but I think it's very similar to polyvinyl acetate (PVA), which is what I use (and butvar, also).  Seeing how you already have some paraloid, I would try some more coats / dips to see if you get the effect you want.  If that doesn't work, you could invest in a small volume of low viscosity paleobond.

I think you can achieve "glossy", I just don't know if it will effect the "pearlescence".

As others have said, things like "shellac" and white glue can discolor, shrink, and peel over time.  Also, many collect fossils for their potential scientific contributions, and thus are interested in archival quality products that are "reversible" (able to be undone in the event that future research requires it -  i.e. solvents that can easily remove any consolidants/ stabilizers).  Cyanoacrylate can be much more difficult to remove, but for your purposes, it's probably fine.  I hope this helps.  Hopefully others will chime in with additional advice.

Archived