Recent Florida finds

jcbshark

Been a while since I've posted a trip report but not for lack of hunting. In the midst of our rainy season here but I've been fortunate to get out with Kevin(Calvin Jenkins) over the last few weeks and also with Dan ( Grimlock) and his son Wolfie and Kevin this am. It's mostly marine stuff we've been finding with a few terrestrial bits too. Been getting a nice meg or two myself about every trip and some with great colors and condition. Found my biggest one in the last few years today and it's almost perfect with just a tip of the root lobe missing and the enamel could be better but it'll look ok once it rehydrates a bit. Kevin and Dan feel free to throw up some eye candy :)

IMG_0486.JPG

52624059987__02E33035-41EF-4D44-A4C6-26D0AECF7E62.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Very nice Jeff. Any successful hunting , especially for large Megs is a pleasure to hear. I once thought about diving for Megs but it seemed like an overload during Peace River hunting season. That may not have been my best decision.    Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Very nice Jeff. Great finds.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I'm not as much of a Meg Magnet as Jeff but I found a couple of nice ones.  Rainy Season hunting has been pretty good to me as I surprised my self a few weeks ago and found a partial Cow Shark tooth.  Found a couple of big Hemipristis and some sand shark teeth with cusps intact.  I hope we can get Jeff to post a photo of his Puffer fish plate, I thought I found a big one until I saw the one he found.  Dan found a nice drum fish mouth plate.  Jeff is ITCHING to get into the creeks but they are still pretty high and I'm happy to keep rainy season hunting for now... in FL we are all waiting to see what the next hurricane brings us.

2017 Cow Shark.jpg

2017 IW Megs.jpg

2017 Summer Hunting Small.jpg

30 minutes ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

Jeff is ITCHING to get into the creeks but they are still pretty high and I'm happy to keep rainy season hunting for now... in FL we are all waiting to see what the next hurricane brings us.

I think Jeff is right,  I tried to get into one of the creeks but I don't think my kayak and me would squeeze up the bridge...  Nice finds .. Love the Megs

Creek.thumb.jpg.ed54685f148edd927b31d9d724053754.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for the comments folks and the additional pics Kevin:)I'll try to get a pic of that puffer plate after work

13 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

Sweet megs.  What do you mean by "rehydrate?" 

The enamel was 'etched' under the top layer of it and was not very attractive so I soaked it in a little oil to shine it up. This was as found

IMG_0478.JPG

What type of oil do you use? Do you have problem with root discoloration after oil soaking?

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

1 hour ago, mrieder79 said:

What type of oil do you use? Do you have problem with root discoloration after oil soaking?

Baby oil works well, I rub it on with my finger so as to not get it on the root. It would darken a light colored one

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, jcbshark said:

Been a while since I've posted a trip report

Hey Jeff,

I did notice a lack of posts from you lately. Was afraid my favorite guide gave the hobby up and went fishin instead!!! Anyways, great find.

Mike

9 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Hey Jeff,

I did notice a lack of posts from you lately. Was afraid my favorite guide gave the hobby up and went fishin instead!!! Anyways, great find.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I have been doing a little more fishing this summer as my friend bought a bigger boat for offshore but think I'll always be a hunter:)

On 9/4/2017 at 10:46 PM, Calvin Jenkins said:

I'm not as much of a Meg Magnet as Jeff but I found a couple of nice ones.  Rainy Season hunting has been pretty good to me as I surprised my self a few weeks ago and found a partial Cow Shark tooth.  Found a couple of big Hemipristis and some sand shark teeth with cusps intact.  I hope we can get Jeff to post a photo of his Puffer fish plate, I thought I found a big one until I saw the one he found.  Dan found a nice drum fish mouth plate.  Jeff is ITCHING to get into the creeks but they are still pretty high and I'm happy to keep rainy season hunting for now... in FL we are all waiting to see what the next hurricane brings us.

2017 Cow Shark.jpg

2017 IW Megs.jpg

2017 Summer Hunting Small.jpg

I looked for that puffer fish plate Kevin and I can't find it at the moment, sure hope I didn't drop it somewhere.... it was a real monster:wacko:

Sorry it took me so long to post. Just trying to prepare for Irma. It was a great trip out with the guys:meg:and I can't wait to do it again. 

Here's an in situ pic of a lovely posterior meg that Wolfie found. 

IMG_20170904_080448_310.jpg

Beautiful pic Dan, that thing looks like it's on fire :fistbump:

Thanks Chris, sure am glad that storm is outta here:)