sTamprockcoin

Horn Coral

sTamprockcoin

Checked out a spot I hadn't been back to since moving back. Found several lenses of fossils but the siltstone is so fragile that it crumbles to nothing. There is one layer of harder stone but it is impossible to climb up to. This chunk had tumbled down and gave me my find for the day -  a nicely partially weathered out solitary horn coral. Devonian, Brallier Formation  from near Roaring Spring PA.

Horn Coral 1a.jpg

Horn Coral 1b.jpg

Horn Coral 1c.jpg

Horn Coral 1d.jpg

Horn Coral 1e.jpg

Edited by sTamprockcoin
additional info needed

Fossildude19

Neat Tim. :) 

Plax

nice to see an actual fossil instead of the usual hole in the rock or poor mold as is usually the case in PA paleozoic fossils.

Adam86cucv
On 9/7/2017 at 8:54 AM, Plax said:

nice to see an actual fossil instead of the usual hole in the rock or poor mold as is usually the case in PA paleozoic fossils.

Especially so considering it was exposed to the elements.

sTamprockcoin

Opinion question - Do you think I should try to do some prepping work on this (NOT my strong suite!) or keep it as I found it? I'm pleased with it as is but just wondering if it might be more interesting with more around the edges visible.

Kane
48 minutes ago, sTamprockcoin said:

Opinion question - Do you think I should try to do some prepping work on this (NOT my strong suite!) or keep it as I found it? I'm pleased with it as is but just wondering if it might be more interesting with more around the edges visible.

As much as I can judge by the picture, that coral looks almost ready to pop right out. It really depends on whether or not you prefer a matrix-free fossil or one situated in its context. The benefit of the former might be in exposing some of the hidden detail, but there is also something to be said about keeping it as-is, too. It really is up to your preference! :)