Crinoid fossil

nivek1969

This rather amazing Crinoid fossil I did not find myself, sadly enough. It's from Sylvania, Lucas County, Ohio. I bought it at a local auction, probably for too much, but it caught my eye and I had to have it. I have found plenty of Crinoid stems in Texas when I was a kid. The "sea lily" stem segments were everywhere in the Dallas suburbs creek beds, and gravel parking lots even. My friend and I filled plastic bags full, sometimes they were around .5" wide. I lost most of my collection of local fossils I found back then from moving a lot and having a storage unit broken into and robbed (lost an old lamp, crummy futon, and a really dresser that just happened to have old concert shirts and fossils in it!) Anyway, I have always loved Crinoid fossils, and this one is small but really stunning, detailed, pyritized and sparkly! 

Crinoid Fossil
Arthroacantha carpenteri
Devonian
Silica Shale
Sylvania, Lucas County, Ohio, USA
2.48 x 2.17 x 1.60 inches (6.30 x 5.52

Crinoid fossil 1.jpg

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG

A real beauty - would be nice to have it in "Collections"

Thomas

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

beautiful specimen

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

14 hours ago, oilshale said:

A real beauty - would be nice to have it in "Collections"

Thomas

I am a newbie. I'l look into "Collections." Another thread or preference I assume. Thanks everybody. I love this piece so much. It's much more impressive in person! 

oops. It's only blatantly listed at the top of the screen! haha! 

Nice piece. Crinoid heads always get me because how they are prepped makes them look so nice, maybe I should get a head some time soon.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

3 hours ago, nivek1969 said:

I am a newbie. I'l look into "Collections." Another thread or preference I assume. Thanks everybody. I love this piece so much. It's much more impressive in person! 

oops. It's only blatantly listed at the top of the screen! haha! 

Just so You know, the "Collections" is a virtual museum created for the Fossil Forum Members to build and use as a reference.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks. I don't believe I have as much info on the piece as what others have listed for the pieces in "Collections." I suppose I can just post it there with what I know. I look forward to learning a lot from this forum!   

KP