My daughter and I spent the summer fossil hunting in the Mid-Atlantic. To cap it off, we shared our finds at the local library. There are a few things in there that we did not actually collect this year, but  are nicer specimens from previous years of the species we found this year. All of two pieces we actually purchased. The rest was just lying on the ground somewhere this year!

IMG_9645.jpg

IMG_9646.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9657.jpg

IMG_9658.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9661.jpg

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

I had to do this. :envy::envy::envy::envy:

The fact that

1. You live in an area where you have legal access to great fossils

2. You have the ability to display them to the general public or even a library

makes me :envy::envy::envy::envy:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Excellent community outreach. I do believe this is deserving of the Paleo Partners award.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

@I_gotta_rock

I've moved the thread to that sub-forum, rather than having duplicate topics. ;) 

10 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Excellent community outreach. I do believe this is deserving of the Paleo Partners award.

It really doesn't qualify, as community outreach is not technically within the parameters of the sub-forum. 

">In this forum, we promote and celebrate our amateur contributions to the paleontological sciences. There are many volunteer opportunities to play an important role in furthering the science, and to learn new skills. Whether by volunteering their time (lab work, collections maintenance, organized field work), or through the donation of significant specimens, to scientific institutions, amateurs have always played an important but unheralded part!"

Besides, she already has one. ;)  

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

6 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

...community outreach is not technically within the parameters of the [Paleo Partners Gallery] sub-forum. 

True, the Paleo Partner's award is for Am-Pro cooperation. The Forum strives to be a nexus between the curious, the avocational, and the professional; how might we increase the celebratory nature of community outreach such as this (which is no less a part of our mission than celebrating specimen donations)?

>In this forum, we promote and celebrate our amateur contributions to the paleontological sciences. There are many volunteer opportunities to play an important role in furthering the science, and to learn new skills. Whether by volunteering their time (lab work, collections maintenance, organized field work), or through the donation of significant specimens, to scientific institutions, amateurs have always played an important but unheralded part!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

@I_gotta_rock

I've moved the thread to that sub-forum, rather than having duplicate topics. ;) 

It really doesn't qualify, as community outreach is not technically within the parameters of the sub-forum. 

">In this forum, we promote and celebrate our amateur contributions to the paleontological sciences. There are many volunteer opportunities to play an important role in furthering the science, and to learn new skills. Whether by volunteering their time (lab work, collections maintenance, organized field work), or through the donation of significant specimens, to scientific institutions, amateurs have always played an important but unheralded part!"

Besides, she already has one. ;)  

You're telling me that donation of significant specimens towards a fine establishment such as a public library doesn't merit the Partners in Paleo award?!

On 9/7/2017 at 1:28 PM, Fossil-Hound said:

You're telling me that donation of significant specimens towards a fine establishment such as a public library doesn't merit the Partners in Paleo award?!

Jason,

She doesn't state, anywhere, that they were donated. :unsure:  

I moved the post to this section to recognize I_gotta_rock's public outreach. ;) 

They were put on display for a limited time.  (1 month?) 

She mentioned in the other thread, (now removed) last month was a collection of Elvis memorabilia.

And, quite frankly, a public library is not the same as a "scientific institution". 

Regardless of the qualification (or not) as a Paleo Partner award, ... How many PP awards does each member need?

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

For the record, no ,these were not donated. It's just a one-month display.  I was not looking for an award (already have one), just trying to post in the appropriate location.

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

18 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Jason,

She doesn't state, anywhere, that they were donated. :unsure:  

I moved the post to this section to recognize I_gotta_rock's public outreach. ;) 

They were put on display for a limited time.  (1 month?) 

She mentioned in the other thread, (now removed) last month was a collection of Elvis memorabilia.

And, quite frankly, a public library is not the same as a "scientific institution". 

Regardless of the qualification (or not) as a Paleo Partner award, ... How many PP awards does each member need?s

A library is a scientific institution! In fact their roots are in universities. 

I did read the fine print and it does say: To cap it off, we shared our finds at the local library.

So it doesn't seem that these fossils where donated but the attached JPG sums up my feelings:

pp.jpg

@I_gotta_rock, I must commend you on a wonderful display...:fistbump:...well done!

What a great venue to teach about (and show off!) your collection of local fossils. I sure hope that twenty years down the road, this display is mentioned as "what got them into fossils" in someone's Member of the Month speech. :)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

14 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

A library is a scientific institution! In fact their roots are in universities. 

I did read the fine print and it does say: To cap it off, we shared our finds at the local library.

So it doesn't seem that these fossils where donated but the attached JPG sums up my feelings:

pp.jpg

Dude, chill! She already has a PP award for a prior donation.
PP awards are for donating specimens to science. Public outreach, an act of 'paying it forward', is in many ways a more important contribution to science. We need to recognize, celebrate, and encourage this, and we're looking into appropriate ways to do this. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

WELL-DONE-50.gif.a6cd6ba4d73fde2a2917c43bfc4312c3.gif

Great-looking display! It reminds me of the days, long ago and far away, I had to use pres-type rub-on letters for the sign headings. Ugh. Your signs and labels are terrific. *

* And the fossils too, of course!)

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

1 hour ago, Auspex said:

Dude, chill! She already has a PP award for a prior donation.
PP awards are for donating specimens to science. Public outreach, an act of 'paying it forward', is in many ways a more important contribution to science. We need to recognize, celebrate, and encourage this, and we're looking into appropriate ways to do this. :)

Yeah I know. I was just being facetious. :P

2 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Yeah I know. I was just being facetious. :P

I had hoped so. Please remember that two thirds of communication (inflection and body-language) are missing in the on-line environment. I'll bet that a show of hands would show that many readers (of which we have 35,000+ per month) were not sure if you were serious or not. ;)

18 hours ago, Auspex said:

I had hoped so. Please remember that two thirds of communication (inflection and body-language) are missing in the on-line environment. I'll bet that a show of hands would show that many readers (of which we have 35,000+ per month) were not sure if you were serious or not. ;)

Well I did have a funny meme attached. :D 

Well, after all that, I think its a great teaching tool and they did a wonderful job on the display.  Takes time to set that kinda thing up too.  

Now, for me,,  I would like to win the Paleo Super Hero suit with cape and mask included.   Thanks  :rofl:

RB

Archived