First Fossil and I have no idea what it is

Thekillertrout

Hello all! This one might be a bit boring to the community at large (maybe not) but I found it in my yard years ago and always wondered what it was. Thanks to any and all who look or chime in. Trout

RenderedContent-06CC1B1A-1B47-43A3-9D10-97BB9D040C3C.JPG

RenderedContent-074D658C-EE78-4A6E-895A-C206E1C09A98.JPG

RenderedContent-CA960265-48C9-4ECE-9212-DBC661F691F3.JPG

RenderedContent-D4E68770-5C9C-49CC-88FB-FE5BAC55A1D9.JPG

Edited by Thekillertrout
Add pics

What's it's size ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Can someone with good geologic maps tell us the age of the strata in that area? Without knowing yet my first guess is calamites stem but it isn't often preserved in three dimensions like that and there is no segmentation showing in this piece.

It sure does have that Calamites look about it... but the geo map shows nothing but Tertiary and Quaternary in that area. However, horsetails still survive today, so I wonder if you have a relatively young fossil of a horsetail of some sort? Definitely hang onto it. Someone might be able to get you further.

How hard is the matrix (rock)? Hard, or loosely consolidated?

I think it's a brachiopod, thought I saw one like this on a previous post, though the name of the thread slips my mind....

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for all the replies! Before posting this I had done the kind of google research we all do when we don't know something, and I found pictures of horsetails that had an obvious resembelence to this fossil but could not find any indication of the segmenting typically found on horsetails and the seemingly apparent stem and root structure made me wonder if it was a flower or seed pod of some sort.  There are other fossils, presumably of the same kind in the rock but I don't know how to go about freeing them. Should I just leave it alone? Trout

7 minutes ago, Thekillertrout said:

Should I just leave it alone?

I would do so, nature seems to have done the prepping for you on the main one!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

19 hours ago, Thekillertrout said:

City of Puyallup in Washington State. 

4.5" wide and 3" tall

Welcome to the forum

The size you've indicated with a ruler is what we call the matrix which is the rock or stone the fossil is on. When people here ask what size it is they mean the size of the fossil. As you provided an international scale (good call, coins for example aren't that useful) we can work out pretty much the size of the fossil. Not that I can help with your particular fossil. 

30 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I would do so, nature seems to have done the prepping for you on the main one!

Ok thanks!

I would leave it as is too.

There may not be enough length there to see any segmentation... It looks like the base of a stalk with root system, but I'm not sure if there should be denser segmentation toward the base of the stalk, so I could be wrong. More research!