Genuine Keichousaurus?

LiamL

I'm currently looking at acquiring my first Keichousaurus.

Can you tell me if this looks like a good none fake/painted specimen. 

Also comment on the prep job and quality and i'd appreciate it!

I'm itching to add one to my collection.

Thank you

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I don't see any red flags, but I'm no expert. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

i don't see any red flags either!

The broken bones are actually a plus.

Nice mineral veining in the piece.

Slightly out of place hands.

I'd go for it!!!

1 minute ago, FossilDudeCO said:

i don't see any red flags either!

The broken bones are actually a plus.

Nice mineral veining in the piece.

Slightly out of place hands.

I'd go for it!!!

On the other specimens the ribs are all in place and perfect, i think it looks really unusual out of place. Is it a decent prep?

35 minutes ago, LiamL said:

On the other specimens the ribs are all in place and perfect, i think it looks really unusual out of place. Is it a decent prep?

The prep on this is typical, and about as good as it gets from China.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

The prep is of the quality generally seen. Disarticulations are a plus to me, as they add to the sense of authenticity. I think I see a tooth. No sign of paint enhancement, but this of course is best determined in hand with a 10X loupe. I like it - if the price is right.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree with all the opinions! It really seems to be authentic! I agree with Fossildude19. The preparation is exactly the same as it is usually used in Guizhou Province, China, ie rotary brush and dilute hydrochloric acid. I really enjoyed the preparation and these calcite veins; moreover, in the Keichousaurus, the dorsal  position is much rarer than the ventral position.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I just pulled the trigger! Thank you all for your help. I will update pictures once it arrives. (Will take over a week probably)

This piece is good. I would say it's real, with little to no restoration.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

8 hours ago, -Andy- said:

This piece is good. I would say it's real, with little to no restoration.

Thanks man, very nice to hear. Gotta wait 8 days for shipping now :)

Looks real to me! I'm not seeing any signs of restoration either. Typically I'll start by looking for added/painted digits in the hands/feet, but they look natural in this specimen. The bones being in various positions also adds to the authenticity of this Keich.

As others have said, the preparation seems pretty standard for a Keich coming out of China. Some detail was lost with this specimen, but overall it's a nice piece.

Broken bones, accurate alignments, disarticulations, repaired cracks, usually signs of natural destruction and reparation. It would be unlikely that any faker would try to replicate a destroyed and repaired piece. Therefore, no red flags in my eyes for now. Nice keich!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

• 3 weeks later...

Update: My Keich arrived in the UK on Sep-10-17. Since then the tracking has been stuck on Awaiting Customs clearance and has not changed since.

I'm starting to think it's been lost or wont come through. 

I once waited for a partial mosasaur jaw for over 2 months. It may yet arrive. Follow up with the customs or shipping firm. Email them. Call them. It's what I had to do to get my jaw back.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Update. Seller has refunded my payment. Though it shows no update on my tracking, i think it has been taken or lost by customs.

3 hours ago, Aurelius said:

I once waited six weeks for something to clear customs. I expect it will turn up eventually.

That's crazy, i'll hold up on buying another just incase this one turns up. Good job I didnt need it urgently.

Sorry to keep bumping this thread. 

Could you comment on this one? Maybe the quality of the prep and also if it looks painted at all?

Thank you

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Being able to find teeth in Keichousaurus is rare, and teeth as sharp as these (1) is even rarer! I liked it!

Some phalanges can be painted (2), which in my opinion is just a good restoration work, nothing that can take away the beauty of an amazing specimen like this!

I had never seen this mass (3) stuck in the skeleton of any other Keichousaurus, which may just be a poor preparation work, where the preparer forgot to remove this conglomeration of minerals, or something that might be worrying, as it is always worrying something that is hidden.

There may be more painted bones (4).

To definitively remove all these doubts, only with photos, unfortunately is very difficult, only with the specimen in hands.

On the plus side, in my opinion is a great specimen and if the price was good, I would buy.

07.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived