Quick trip to Wrens Nest, Dudley, West Midlands, UK

JohnBrewer

2 hours ago, Taogan said:

I remember that there were always plenty of buses going there. no need for cars, you aren't allowed to take equipment onto the site anyway so you can travel light. I used to go there a lot when I lived in the Midlands I just took an empty bag with me. I also remember the kids from the council estate next to it were infamous for taking pot shots at collectors with low power air pistols. 

Just noticed you said the fossil wall was cordoned off, pity you can't get near it any more. I was having my lunch at the bottom of that when a chunk of sea bed the size of a paving slab broke off and slid down. Almost broke my shoulder catching it and almost got a hernia carrying it home:ighappy:

Buses aren't really practical for three of us travelling but I'm sure could be for some who may join the party. As you say you only need a small bag and something to wrap/protect the finds unless you feel attracted to some sea bed and who wouldn't be :) 

That's a big chunk of sea bed you took home! It really is beautiful stuff. 

Do do you know of any other decent sites in the Midlands @Taogan? I think somewhere there is a good Carboniferous area but for the life of me I can't remember where.

What part of the country have you moved too?

28 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Buses aren't really practical for three of us travelling but I'm sure could be for some who may join the party. As you say you only need a small bag and something to wrap/protect the finds unless you feel attracted to some sea bed and who wouldn't be :) 

That's a big chunk of sea bed you took home! It really is beautiful stuff. 

Do do you know of any other decent sites in the Midlands @Taogan? I think somewhere there is a good Carboniferous area but for the life of me I can't remember where.

What part of the country have you moved too?

I moved a few times, but  now I'm stuck in London so I get Sheppey and a few other South coast sites. I think there are still a few quarries in the Eyam Limestone around Matlock and Darley Dale that are still available, but a lot are closed for collecting now. The best one is now "The National Stone Centre" near Wirksworth and they have banned all collecting.

• I found this Informative 1