A Bunch of Dino Poop!!!

RJB

My wife brought this out of our shed in her little work wagon today.  Two of these dino poops wiegh in at about 20 to 40 pounds!!!  Does anyone our there in the Fossil Forum think that these can be sold?  The cost of shipping alone would be a small fortune!  Just wondering.  Not sure what to do with these?

RB

DSCN1249.JPG

Wow those are huge, some Dino had a big meal! hope you can find out what to do with them!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I have seen material like this sliced into thin sections and polished. It can be attractive, plus you have the novelty poop factor. So, yes it might be a viable commodity on that auction site. (Assuming it's pretty inside).You could get a lot of cross sections out of each piece and the postage per section wouldn't be prohibitive. Good luck, I know you are a man with a lot of projects; so I bet you'll come up with something.  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks like the individual pieces might fit in a medium sized shipping.

If he worth paying for the shipping just for the novelty of having a big poop

Ok, thanks guys.  @snolly50, im not about to do the slicing and polishing thing.  Too much work for me nowadays. 

@Fossil Claw, Sadly, there is  no way these will fit even in a large Flat Rate box.  But I do like the auction idea that snolly brought up.  I wonder if I can put a 'minimum' on the auction?

RB

I'm going to be a debbie downer here, but I've seen layers of that stuff that are miles long and very thick of this so called dino poop. I have my doubts that most of the coprolites that is being sold as coprolites are actually a coprolites. Just my 2 cents.

14 hours ago, zekky said:

I'm going to be a debbie downer here, but I've seen layers of that stuff that are miles long and very thick of this so called dino poop. I have my doubts that most of the coprolites that is being sold as coprolites are actually a coprolites. Just my 2 cents.

I have never seen these Morrison "dubiocoprolites" in situ, so that is good to know. I'm quite sure most of the siliceous pieces in my collection aren't really coprolites. Out of all of the pieces I have (or have examined for that matter), I was only able to identify possible bone fragments in one, possible vegetation bits in two, and microscopic bits that may have had an organic origin in two others. I keep thinking one day I will find one that can definitively be identified as a coprolite.

I am with jpc on being with zekky.

Utah coprolites for instance, are often agatized pseudomorphs, and not dino droppings.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Ive heard people saying that these 'are' and 'are not' dino poops for the last 25 years.  I really dont know to be quite honest.

RB

• 2 weeks later...

Well, poops or not, they now make for some good garden rocks.  My wife watned to line the garden area with rocks so she got a few more.

RB

Archived